Wednesday, January 12, 2005


Liptaur Cheese

Anglo-Liptaur cheese, anyone? It has been a holiday favorite in my family for 20+ years. I wish that I could tell you that it has come to me from the old country, but it is actually a recipe from my mother's friend on the east coast. To be honest, I'm not sure that she is even Hungarian. Anyhow:

2 lb cream cheese
1 lb butter
1 lb Roquefort (or bleu) cheese
2 cloves garlic
8 strips anchovey, mashed
1 onion, grated and processed (smooth)
2-3 T. paprika
1-2 Tsp. Tabasco
1 pinch salt

Soften all ingredients at room temperature. Blend all ingredients well - this will take time. Can be stored well covered in refrigerator 2-3 weeks. Serve with crackers or vegetables.

This makes a butt-load (I do believe that this is the proper culinary term, but I'm still indexing foodtv.com) of cheese. I recommend halving, quartering, or reducing further unless you are feeding a very large family, or an entire army.

Every other recipe that I've found on the web requires capers, special cheese, etc. I asked my mom (so you know it's legit), and she said that the recipe would not be spoiled by these "foreign" ingredients, but that it is tasty in its own right, and is the family tradition, dammit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home