Wednesday, March 23, 2005

People Pie

I was reading the most recent Time magazine's reader response section, when one letter in particular caught my eye. Paraphrasing, the letter stated that the author was a pro-life christian, but realized that contraception would be prefferable to abortion. She was willing to take a step toward the middle in order to support her core beliefs.

Normally I would have found this encouraging, but my mind took off on a tangent:

Let's agree that a cake is made of wet and dry ingredients. Milk and egg & flour and sugar. When these ingredients are combined, is the result a cake? No - we need to bake the ingredients. If you wait just a few minutes and pull the mixture out of the oven, is the result a cake? Hardly.

I think the obviuos analogy here is that it is difficult to say exactly when a human becomes viable. At what point do potential and viable meet? Pro-lifers would state that a cake is done as soon as the ingredients are mixed. Pro-choicers might state that as soon as the knife comes out clean the cake is ready. They might also be willing to concede that a cake with only 15 minutes to go should be allowed to become a cake.

What got me thinking is that the reader's letter stated that she could support contraception to avoid abortion. If we look at this backwards, in a pro-life way, what do we see? A cake is a cake the instant that all the ingredients are mixed. But why stop there? Potential is achieved far before this. When flour and sugar are combined, we have half a cake already. This is a potential cake. Of course, it is also a potential cookie, eclair, pie, etc. To allow this potential to be wasted (contraception), is to forever negate the possible cake. Or to take a further step back, what are the implications of impeding kinetic human procreation in any way? Aren't state-sponsered executions, chemical castration or even sending men to war, in a sense, contraception? And isn't that, basically, abortion?

I'm just floating ideas. It seems to me that the cake analogy is too obvious, so it must have been used to better effect by someone much more gifted than I. Understand that I am not pro-abortion, but I'm also not pro-choice. In this post I've been playing Devil's advocate, but I'm willing to hear both sides on this issue. I just wanted to pass on what had occured between a few synapses while reading a Time magazine.

UPDATE - I just had to check for any similar references. While I haven't had time to read the posts, this page lists my initial supposition almost word for word.

7 Comments:

At 3/23/2005 10:40:00 PM , Blogger Sarandipity said...

Hi KOM!

First of all, every woman has a right to her own body and what it does. The question is which is the bigger 'evil' - contraception or abortion? I would think abortion. For potential is just that - potential. The soul enters the body as soon as the body begins to form in the mother's womb, but whenever that moment may be, the baby does have a soul when it is born.

You seem very very mature for your 20 years of life on earth!

Catkins

 
At 3/23/2005 10:46:00 PM , Blogger Sarandipity said...

Whoops sorry about the age goof up. You are 29 after all, no wonder!


Catkins

 
At 3/23/2005 11:06:00 PM , Blogger KOM said...

True, every woman has a right to her body, and what it does.

But at what point does that right affect another person (soul)?

The right to swing my fist ends at your face. That is, we should be free to do whatever we wish, as long as it doesn't affect another person.

If, as you've said, a soul forms at the moment of conception, then a woman's right to "choose" ends at that instant.

I'm afraid that the rest seems to be splitting hairs. At this time in my life I don't believe that humanity begins with conception, but I still don't accept abortion as the simple "get out of jail free" card that it has become.

The topic is so murky; I'm surprised that so many people are so polarized. I would expect that more people would have difficulty with the issue.

 
At 3/25/2005 10:22:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

There will never be a solid "right" or "wrong" to the abortion issue. Do I think abortion is wrong? No. Would I, as a woman, have an abortion myself? No. I was faced with that decision myself at the age of 21, and no matter which angle I viewed my situation from, I could not see abortion as a viable option. Nature decided for me at 10 weeks and I miscarried. I came out of that situation a changed person. What I learned was that I was glad abortion is safe and legal; and that it is never an "easy" option for anyone.

 
At 3/25/2005 10:27:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Catkins:
Every woman has a responsibilty to make sure that if she is not ready to have a child, that she goes to every measure to make sure she does not get pregnant. Even so, women get pregnant even with every measure taken. I am glad that abortion is safe and legal and I hope that never changes.

 
At 3/27/2005 12:29:00 PM , Blogger Jerk Of All Trades 2.0 said...

I understand your point. My personal belief is that it is a womans issue. I don't fel women have any say in the appropriate use of Testicles, i should n't comment on their Uterus. I don't have to carry the child for 9 months, don't have to worry about being raped and told I have to have the bastards child.

What kind of person am I? I just read that whole thing and the foremost thought in my head was, Mmmmm cake sounds good right now.

 
At 3/27/2005 11:54:00 PM , Blogger Sarandipity said...

To tell the Truth, paul'swife - I agree with you that a woman oughta watch herself, but it does happen despite that to many. It happened to me in my twenties and I didn't even tell the guy about it. He was much younger than me, anyway, and I wasn't in love with him. Why would I marry him for the sake of the baby? I knew nothing then about this spiritual insight that I have gained into the matter, yet even if I had, I wouldn't have had the child. I really at the time had no qualms about the abortion.

But the second time at 36, faced again with the issue, I decided to marry and give legitimacy to my baby. I knew I'd never have another later on - it'd be too late. Besides, I had no family left, and wanted a child of my blood. And although the guy had a problem with alcohol I married him. Stayed with him 7 years filled with wonders as well as torture, but am I glad I had the child!

All the best
Catkins

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home