Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Pam 6.0

I have an admission to make.

To this day, I can't watch Leave It To Beaver without my hand hovering near my face, ready to cover my eyes. "Don't climb that!" I scream, but he still gets stuck in the giant billboard coffee cup. "Don't lie to dad!" but he still tries to get out of it. "Dont listen to Eddie!", but he smiles at me through the TV and does it anyway.

I have the same problem with Everybody Loves Raymond. I can't watch that show. It's too painful. Same with All In The Family, Are You Being Served and Keeping Up Appearences.

Interestingly (to me), I can watch Seinfeld all day long, but it drives my wife to distraction. I never really watched it while it was running (I didn't have a TV back then), but I catch it in syndication as often as possible. My wife actually yells at George; can't stand him and can't always understand why I think it's funny. Go figure.

But now my issue is with The Office. And what kills me is that I really like this show. (I refuse to be drawn into the debate of the American vs. the British version (and yes, I watched that as well on BBC America. God save the Queen)). I find myself viewing it behind two hands, fingers spread just enough to see the TV before CRASH my fingers slam shut. To me this is its greatest charm and worst virtue.

I have been working on a solar-eclipse like device in which I can watch it without burning my eyes. I'll let you know when it's ready.

2 Comments:

At 4/27/2005 04:36:00 AM , Blogger Jerk Of All Trades 2.0 said...

You forgot "NO Beav! You and Larry shouldn't smoke Coffee in that Old Pipe!"

The Office (Brit & U.S.) cracks me up. Sadly, I don't see it lasting after 1 season. Most people here in America are too used to laugh tracks and audiences telling them when somethng funny happend. They don't get the fact that the boss is a rude idiot and it is done on purpose and that you are supposed to laugh at how dumb and obnoxious he is, not want to bash his brains in with a bat.

Great show but it'll be gone soon, enjoy it while you can.

 
At 4/28/2005 04:55:00 AM , Blogger ~Jan said...

LOL, my husband used to watch "Lassie" from behind the chair in his living room. And I still watch CSI from between my fingers.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home