Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Education and Racism

Two things are on my mind, and I am going to try to bring them together.

First, the recent post by Fruit Fly got me thinking again about college. Growing up, college was always a long-term goal instigated by my father. I am the youngest, and only male, of my siblings. I think that my poor dad may have, at one time, put a little bit of "last hope" pressure on me.

You see, both of my parents are college graduates. As were their parents. But while I was growing up, my sisters were free spirits. It was not until the last 10 years or so that they "got their (collective) acts together."

Actually, I had planned to go to a four-year college, but my "money" slipped away when my grandmother passed. She had set up a trust-fund for her grandchildren to attend higher education, but that evaporated when she died. I was stuck half-way though my local JC with nowhere to go.

While attending the JC, I took a sociology class. We were actually in-class when the OJ Simpson verdict was presented over radio. We had around 15 white kids, 5 hispanic kids and 5 black kids in the class that day. We listened to the verdict, and discussed.

If you've never been through Napa, 5 African Americans in a class of 25 is extraordinary. This is the second thought on my mind, brought to light by Reese. Reese mentions the lack of black people in the desert. I hope that she doesn't care about the score if she ever visits the Napa Valley.

Anyhow, the division of opinion was particularly interesting because it was during a sociology class. The black students started cheering, the white and hispanic students caught their collective breath and wondered who bought off the jury? Civil lawsuit aside, it still seems obvious that OJ was (is) guilty. To all (5) black students, it was obvious that he was innocent, and should be completely exonerated.

Can simple skin color so profoundly change the way that we think about things?

Was it racism that caused us (non-black students) to believe that OJ was guilty? Was it racism that caused the black students to assume that he was innocent?

I could have finished college, but I'm basically lazy. All of my friends that went to college eventually moved back to town, many of them to their parent's house. Having been on my own for at least 5 years earlier I asked myself what they were doing wrong, and why college cost so much when it could not provide real-world experience? While I was trying to find a way to subsidize just another semester, my friends were coming back and buying me beers on their parent's credit.

Again, I've always been lazy. I could have taken a 3rd job to put myself through college. But Yuck. I tell you what, I make a hell of a lot more than my college friends.

Perhaps innate intelligence is worth something, after all.

Wow, this post was a mish-mash of random posts and comments. I was not able to come to any kind of stasis. I think that I meant to discuss the importance of college, and the increasingly non-issue of racism.

But I failed on both fronts. These topics are far too big for me.

11 Comments:

At 6/02/2005 04:28:00 AM , Blogger Squishi said...

I always find the US to be such an amazing place - so many people, yet you actually categorise yourselves in such a way that you actually incite prejudice without even meaning to. What i mean is, you call yourselves upfront "African Americans", "Latin Americans", "Asian Americans" etc etc.

In Australia, you're just "Australians". You might come from a different background to your neighbour, but you're just an "Australian" whether you were born here or not. We don't care so much about skin colour here, or where you're from.

I don't know, i'm not really qualified to discuss this, but i think categorising people before you even think is dangerous.

I'm Australian. I'm 7th Generation. My heritage is British, but I am not British, I am Australian. My boyfriend is 1st Generation Australian. He has Greek Parents (who have been neutralised) but he's Australian first and foremost.

As the (obnoxiously overplayed) song goes "We are one, but we are many, and from all the lands on eart we come. We share a dream, and sing with one voice, I am, you are, we are Australian"

I really honestly hope I didn't upset anyone by saying this, but tell me if I have.

Here endeth my essay.

 
At 6/02/2005 06:10:00 AM , Blogger PSUMommy said...

squishi- you know, the same thought has crossed my mind. I think its because of America's history with slavery and racism in general- there were so many negative 'names' floating around that positive or neutral names had to be introduced. I'm hoping that the need for such distinctions can be eventually erased. I personally don't use skin color to describe anyone & always find it strange when other people do...I'd like to think that my generation is one step closer!

kom- I have no idea about the trial, really...I refused to watch it. As for college- it took me 8 years to finish my undergrad. I lost my scholarships & loans at one point, then got married, had a baby, changed my degree 3 times, etc. etc. etc. But honestly- if you don't like school and have a good job/career without it- then I don't think its necessary. Just my 2ยข. :)

 
At 6/02/2005 06:16:00 AM , Blogger Venessa said...

Kom: Good post...and unfortunately, I'd have to say that racism played a role in both groups' feelings.

As far as college is concerned...I'm guessing that a lot of these kids that finished and moved back home had everything paid for by their parents. For some (not all) of these kids...college is nothing but an extension of high school. For me, I had to pay for my undergrad and my grad school by working 2 jobs. So yeah...I received the education AND the real world experience.

The really successful people I went to college with: the doctors, lawyers, pharm reps, consultants, business owners, six figure earners are the ones that did it on their own.

 
At 6/02/2005 06:22:00 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

I don't really give much thought to race, perhaps that is the Canadian in me? As for college, I've been twice...didn't finish either course...I am a tad bit of a scatterbrain when it comes to sticking to things...

I do find that as I get older however, I finish what I start. So maybe it was a question of maturity. Thus far in my career, I haven't found that it has held me back (my lack of a college degree).

 
At 6/02/2005 12:04:00 PM , Blogger KOM said...

Sorry folks. This was another case where I forced myself to publish a completely unfinished post. I could never really catch the thread of what I was trying to say, so I quit.

Therefore, I don't have anything further to say about it.

 
At 6/02/2005 05:30:00 PM , Blogger David said...

I started college and hated it, dropped out and joined the Navy. Got out of the Navy and started working offshore, Gulf of Mexico and decided to go back on my days off. The company I worked for paid 50% and the GI Bill more than paid for the rest. Got a much better job after I graduated but funny part is, not because of my degree, but just because I went. They all looked and saw I was trying to improve myself along with the fact I was actually already doing the work and BAM! Better job, MUCH better money. Along your topic of racism and college funny fact not many people know about me. When I first went to college I went to a Black University (Alcorn State) on a minority scholarship because I am white. How is that for irony.....

 
At 6/03/2005 09:52:00 AM , Blogger Reese The Law Girl said...

Ooohhh, I got a reference! Now, I feel important. ;)

Well, as far as college goes. Eh, I had fun. I learned some junk. I'm glad I don't have study no more. The End.

As far as race- whoa. That's a whole 'nother thing. Not to get into a debate, but slavery in America and slavery in the bible were a bit different. Slavery in America passed down generation to generation, women were raped, people killed, etc. Not a nice little bit of history. Slavery in the bible, was a lot like just being employed for a lifetime. Anyways, with the ugliness of America's past with racism, and people's inability to deal with it head on (unlike the Holocaust where people all agree we should never forget), there's no way we're moving on any time soon.

Just my two cents.

 
At 6/03/2005 07:51:00 PM , Blogger Reese The Law Girl said...

Okay, I hear what you're saying Queen. I agree, living in harmony would be a good thing for people to start accepting. But, in America, I sometimes think people just like to fight all the time.

Maybe we should start our own nation? You can be the Queen and I can be the Attorney General. ;)

I'm not sure if OJ did it (well, yea, he probably did- but, I'm always down for a good conspiracy theory) and I agree- MJ is definitly a freak. But, I still like his music. ;)

 
At 6/03/2005 11:12:00 PM , Blogger KOM said...

I think his Tsunami-ness said it all in PYT.

But I've got to admit, I always liked everything before he started believing his own press.

 
At 6/05/2005 10:04:00 AM , Blogger Reese The Law Girl said...

LOL! "Cha-mon," let's do it! It's time for a revolution!!

I'm taking bets on how long before me and Queen's coup gets taken down by the local police. ;)

 
At 6/05/2005 10:06:00 AM , Blogger Reese The Law Girl said...

BTW, Kom, I refuse to believe that PYT was a forecast of things to come for MJ. I REFUSE it. ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home