Wednesday, May 25, 2005

The Glass Bead Game

Damn limitations.

I have been thwarted by my ignorance of HTML, my lack of patience, my lack of dedication and finally some certain design issues with Blogger.

I thought it would be great to create a full multi-media collage and let it flow from some initial concept. A song, image, poem, formula... my own solitaire Glass Bead Game.

I imagined grand mouse-over control, allowing symphonies of WAV's, video, still images, all to be determined to some degree by the "reader". What I've ended up with is the very, very pale shadow of the idea which you see below.

But since I'd already copied it to Blogger so that I could verify the links, I have to follow my own rules and publish it.

Begone, would-be Opus, and torment me no longer.




And the lamb lies down on Broadway.

Early morning Manhattan
,
Ocean winds blow on the land.
The Movie-Palace is now undone,
The all-night watchmen have had their fun.
Sleeping cheaply on the midnight show,
It's the same old ending-time to go.
Get out!
It seems they cannot leave their dream.
There's something moving in the sidewalk steam,
And the lamb lies down on Broadway.

Nighttime flyers feel their pains.
Drugstore takes down the chains.
Metal motion comes in bursts,
But the gas station can quench that thirst.
Suspension cracked on unmade road
The truckers eyes read Overload
And out on the subway,
Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid
Exits into daylight, spray gun hid,
And the lamb lies down on Broadway.

The lamb seems right out of place,
Yet the Broadway street scene finds a focus in its face.
Somehow its lying there,
Brings a stillness to the air.
Though man-made light, at night is very bright,
There's no whitewash victim,
As the neon's dim, to the coat of white.
Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid,
Wipes his gun- he's forgotten what he did,
And the lamb lies down on Broadway.

Suzanne tired, her work all done,
Thinks money-honey-be on-neon.
Cabman's velvet glove sounds the horn
And the sawdust king spits out his scorn.
Wonder woman draw your blind!
Don't look at me! I'm not your kind.
I'm Rael!
Something inside me has just begun,
Lord knows what I have done,
And the lamb lies down on Broadway.
On Broadway.
They say the lights are always bright on Broadway.
They say there's always magic in the air.

11 Comments:

At 5/25/2005 08:07:00 PM , Blogger Squishi said...

ack! You defiled the image of my Heroine, wonder woman!

Begone, evil one!




(ps: nice work!)

 
At 5/25/2005 08:08:00 PM , Blogger Squishi said...

oh, and you need to learn JavaScript - the mouseovers work perfectly with that

try a script at www.dynamicdrive.com

They're easy and good.

 
At 5/25/2005 08:48:00 PM , Blogger Yawn said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5/25/2005 08:49:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get it. Sorry. But I do get counterscamming Nigerians whilst drinking Italian dressing out of the bottle. Salud, KOM. Meanwhile, I feel the sting of the 56K Opi. That is the plural of opus right? Nothing like a little vinegar, oil, garlic, hot wings, Jaegermeister, Gin, methadone, cauliflower, and Natty Ice to kill that annoyance. Except maybe Keystone Light instead of the Natty.

 
At 5/25/2005 09:35:00 PM , Blogger MelTheFruitFly said...

You know I adore you KOM, and I can appreciate the effort that went into even getting this out (much less your multimedia dream...)

But I'll have to assume that it's fantastic all the way through. I only clicked a few of the links. Sorry. (If I get more time later, I fully intend to check more... not that I think I'll have more time.)

But I will say, Flash would probably be the best avenue for expressing this dream... should you get inspired enough to want to pursue it. (I can tell that the original idea was very, very cool.)

 
At 5/25/2005 10:41:00 PM , Blogger Squishi said...

flash is tricky if you don't know how to use it. I do know how to use it even, and it's still tricky!

It would be a good idea though - imagine those pictures zooming in...

Ahh, the beauty.

 
At 5/26/2005 06:27:00 AM , Blogger Jerk Of All Trades 2.0 said...

I was ready to tell you how cool this was after the first couple, and then.........SHE appeared!

Undone....is......so.......um....distractingly lovely.

Your wife is hot!

After your "No family pictures" post I'm shocked to see her, but thank you.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

 
At 5/26/2005 09:29:00 AM , Blogger Passerby A said...

Interesting thoughts...
Not your Magnum Opus yet?
More to come, I hope

 
At 5/26/2005 09:47:00 AM , Blogger KOM said...

IX - Thanks. We gotta bring early Genesis out once in a while or the kids forget.

Squishi - I played with Java Script, but a lot of the commands had to be put into the "template" section of the blog - and I don't want to force someone to load 300 pictures and songs anytime they surf over. It's not an insurmountable problem, just one which I don't have the patience to complete.

Yawn - Bitteres Bier Gesicht!

FF - Skimming again, hunh? Sigh. I might not be able to get the book tag-back done for a couple of days, so we'll call it even.

J - Glad you liked the picture. This was done over the course of a couple days, and started much more free-form than it ended subject-wise. To be honest, I probably would have removed that pic if I could have motivated myself to do any further work. So enjoy. You've made my wife laugh!

Diva -
Magnum opus, not.
Not even half-pint opus.
Please don't hold your breathe.

 
At 5/26/2005 03:12:00 PM , Blogger kotamaris said...

I miss Bloom County *sigh*

 
At 5/26/2005 11:15:00 PM , Blogger MelTheFruitFly said...

Not skimming so much as just busy... and clicking all those links takes... work.

I'm sorry. I really am. I came back tonight and clicked a few more. Does that help? (I'd like to go through the whole thing... but I do have a blog to write myself you know. :P)

Seriously, I think you should follow through and figure out a way to really do this up though. It is a very good idea.

And I miss Bloom County terribly myself. Outland was close... but not quite.

Eye boogers. The great social equalizer. - The wisdom of Opus

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home