Friday, June 03, 2005

The Unfriendly Skies

It's time to come clean.

I'm a video game junkie. Or at least I would be if I had more time.

(Yes, I'm sure that you're all shocked. You may can the act and continue to read.)

Do kids even say "video game" anymore? Would they know an arcade if Pac-Man and Joust both slapped them?

I remember, barely, the day that my dad brought the Atari 2600 home for the family. Sweet, sweet Christmas. I remember crying in the face of my other toys, awaiting the magic machine to be hooked up to our TV. I wanted to play Pac-Man so bad I gleeked ghosts and power pellets.

My Mom and I used to play Super Breakout together. Remeber the Atari paddles that stopped working after 2 months? Remember when you finally got the ball on top of the formation?

My vengeful sister, 10 years my senior, used to love playing Star Wars with me - the first Atari adaptation of the game where you are a Snow-Speeder, trying to shoot ATAT's. She was so smug, and she always beat me.

Remember Megomania? Pitfall? Adventure? Combat?

On another Christmas, the Nintendo 8-bit system was waiting. My sisters were all grown up and gone - I could enjoy Mario, Zelda and Metroid alone. But I was still infected with their music. I remember Zelda more by Falco's Vienna Calling than by the supplied soundtrack.

The Crash Pad. Those of us that had not gone to University moved into a low-income, roach-infested town house across from Juvenile Hall. There were only 2-3 stabbing deaths in our compaound monthly, so it seemed safe enough...

But one of my friends bought the N64.

Words can not express the absolute shock that I experienced when I first saw Mario 64. It was amazing, engrossing, and totally addictive. We used to play Mario Cart until the wee hours of the night. Turok? Shadows of the Empire? Golden Eye?

As Emeril might say, "Oh yeah, baby!"

I bought myself the original Play Station, because there was an Activision game that emulated many of the best Atari games. Slowly, I added to the library and became a fan of games from Ape Escape to Abe's Oddessey.

Then, the Christmas that must live in my wife's infamy, she bought me a PS2. I still see her from time to time...

That's actually not true. I don't have time to play the damn machine any longer. I have dozens of games, but most of them I have already beaten or don't have time to further pursue. I get to play maybe 3 hours or so a week. But I still enjoy it!

Actually, this whole post was a precursor to a cry for help. I had hoped to gain the audience of the few gamers out there that might read my humble blog, and could help me with a specific task:

The Ace Combat series is amazing, and I nearly creamed my panties when AC5 was released. But since the day that I first played it, I have not been able to pass level 15, "White Noise". I've gone so far as to consult internet "walkthru's" for the title. Still, I can't do it. I simply don't have enough time to keep playing the same level over and over, hoping to pass on a fluke.

So I ask you, oh humble reader, to let me know what to do (Squishi, I'm looking at you - I know that you play video games).

Anyone?

Your gift for reading this far? Are you actually so selfish as to expect something? Fine.

First, download Jnes, an 8-bit NES emulator. This little program will happily play all of your favorite NES titles, provided that your computer is at least a Pentium 3. If you have some kind of joystick, it's easy to set up. Otherwise, we're just talking about the NES, here. Define a few keyboard controls for the A and B buttons and you're good to go. Next, download the following ROM files - these are direct ports of the original games. Enjoy! (Oh, and no one turn me in for some kind of copyright infringement, eh?)

Metroid
Super Mario Brothers
The Legend of Zelda

12 Comments:

At 6/04/2005 04:47:00 AM , Blogger Squishi said...

ooh ahh - you got me.

Sadly after my TRS-80 my dad brought home from work in about 1981 (still my favourite games of all time - it loaded games from CASSETTTE that were almost all text based) until about 1989 I didn't have a computer at all. It wasn't until about 1995 that I became a serious gamer again when i bought my OWN pc, so alas, I have failed in my mission to help you.

I'm sorry. Please forgive me. When I get home i'll try the emulator!

I hang my head in shame.

I'll ask my boyfriend if he knows tho. He's a serious gamer junkie since Commodore 64.

 
At 6/04/2005 04:49:00 AM , Blogger Squishi said...

oh, and I'm an xboxer, although my xbox now plays Nintendo games since it was "fixed" last week, so maybe i have them... i'll look :)

 
At 6/04/2005 08:32:00 AM , Blogger Passerby A said...

We had an Atari... that was light years ago.

 
At 6/04/2005 09:10:00 AM , Blogger Jerk Of All Trades 2.0 said...

I'm on it man.

I'll go get A.C.5 this weekend and start working my way up to it.

This may sound like it will take months, but I not only have the time to spend on it but the skill.

I STILL after all these years can tear through games at the pace of a 13 year old boy with 2 cases of Mountain Dew and Snapple under his bed!

Only the resident evil games seem to slow me down a little.

I have PS2 & Gamecube and have had just about ever dman system ever made at one point.

Remember the Jaguar system? Had it.
Neo Geo,colecovision, itellivision, Magnavox OdysseyII, Sega Master system, Sega Genesis, Nintendo orig & Super, N64, PONG, PS1, Dreamcast and a couple more I'm probably forgetting.

I have NEVER owned an Atari. Wierd but true.

If you have any other game questions let me know.
If I can't help you, my 14yr old nephew can. (I'm the COOL uncle!)

 
At 6/04/2005 10:52:00 AM , Blogger kotamaris said...

See? When you guys talk video games, this is what I hear, "blah, blah, hmina, hmina, graaawck, woopwoopaki, bleh." Sorry I can't help you out.

 
At 6/05/2005 06:33:00 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

Datamonkey and you sound like clones...I am not sure if he has that game or not...he used to have ps2...and plays everything...I bought him Xbox for christmas...I will send him over to read your post...perhaps he can help

 
At 6/05/2005 06:54:00 AM , Blogger David said...

Great post!!
Lets see we had the Atari when it first came out, only game I remember is Pong. My friend got an Intellivision and we played that mofo till I could not move my fingers! Got the Super Nintendo, Sega, PlayStation and now own the PlayStation2. I have not played my PlayStation in about a year though and all of the games I own are Sports, mostly the NCAA College Football ones. Never tried any of the other types. My mom is a Zelda fan though and has owned it on everything from Nintendo to Gameboy.

 
At 6/05/2005 10:56:00 AM , Blogger Trish said...

my favorite games are, and always will be:
pong
tetris
mahjong

My friend Matt and his posse have this theory that all females like video games where the end result is a clean screen. I subscribe to this sexist theory. I like clean screens, who doesn't. Boys, that's who.

 
At 6/05/2005 07:37:00 PM , Blogger Jerk Of All Trades 2.0 said...

Turbo Graphix!!
Had it.
Splatterhouse ruled!

 
At 6/05/2005 10:59:00 PM , Blogger KOM said...

Squishi - I grew up wit the TRS-80 as well! My dad still has it in his garage. I remember vividly when he upgraded to a Heathkit that had (gasp!) 16k ROM!

Diva - No upgrade since? Sigh.

J - I'm serious, man. Don't mess with me and my Ace Combat. I have to admit that if you pass that level in the first 2 or 3 tries, I will be shamed. But awaiting instructions.

TE - Yadda kluckinfuckin blah blah. Wazzit moto groofumphelin.

D&BQ - Smell the dark side on you, I do. Before a little time now, games addicted you will be.

Lisa - Any help is appreciated. This was not a comedy piece but a desperate cry for help.

David - I bought High Heat baseball for the PS1, and was sorely dissapointed. I play Madden and EA Baseball at my friends' houses, but I still feel too burned to buy another sports title.

Trish-T-D - I live and breathe Mah-Jong. I hate that fucking game, but I can't stop playing. Oh look! My chicken-looking tile matches the North Wind! Hoorah! What really irks me is that like solitaire, you may not be able to win. It's only saving grace is that I beat it more often that I beat solitaire. Damn bastard of a whore game. We will never speak of it again on LP.

I got sucked into playing the SNES Final Fantasy games on my computer (ala emulators...) but I simply don't have the time to invest in one of these in real life. My wife bought me the SIMS a few years ago, and I lost 6 months of my life.
I hear that SIM Universe is in development. Crap. Time to speak the bitch-goddess "Workers Comp" and see what we can't agree on.

 
At 6/06/2005 11:45:00 AM , Blogger kotamaris said...

ah Mahjong. Now there's a loss of hours a day I can get behind!

 
At 6/07/2005 03:31:00 PM , Blogger KOM said...

I've never figured out how to play "real" mah-jong (read: old ladies sitting around a table drinking straight bourbon). But if you're asking about the solitaire game, just download a freebie somewhere. Basically, you just match 2 tiles, but they can only be removed horizontally.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home