Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Why I hate commercials

Probably the best known lines of the "New Colossus" by Emma Lazarus:

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Compare with the advertisement I keep catching for the 2012 New York Olympic bid:

Give me your tired, your swift,
Your brave, your dreamers.
Send these, the strong, the driven, the unyielding to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

This bastardization turns the meaning of the lines completely upside-down. Liberty now welcomes the the powerful, the sure, the secure.

Forgive me as I weep for the America that I was taught to love.

1 Comments:

At 6/24/2005 01:48:00 PM , Blogger THEMARSHAL said...

That is sad and strangly I have yet to see the new Olympic Bid comercial by New York. I may need to watch more T.V. I aggree that most if not all comercials now days are crap and rarely if ever even show us what they are trying to sale.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home