Monday, June 13, 2005

Devil's advocate

People, my people, my fine people, my fine, fine people. I thank you for giving a cacophonous shout-out to Blog Jesus.

I was born Episcopalian, raised Lutheran and married Catholic. I have read the Bible twice, I have spent time in bible-study, and I have watched CBN.

My father is ordained, my wife has a "golden ticket" to heaven, and I've seen pictures from the Holy Land of the hole where Christ was born. I even have a prayer personally inserted into the Wailing Wall.

But living in our secular society, I wonder at the fact that one is able to receive a degree from an accredited university in Metaphysics or Theology.

Isn't it a bit like receiving a degree in Santa-ism? Tooth-fairy-ism? Hamburgalar-ism?

On the other hand, one can still receive a doctorate in philosophy.

Crazy fucking people. Next thing you know, someone is going to tell me that their infantile belief is better than mine. What a world.

6 Comments:

At 6/14/2005 01:16:00 AM , Blogger Passerby A said...

OMG!!!! I thought I clicked on the wrong blog. It IS you KOM!

Can I have my purse back now?

 
At 6/14/2005 03:56:00 AM , Blogger Jerk Of All Trades 2.0 said...

I used to have a bachelors degree in Metaphysical studies from Miskotonic University.
A completely bogus institute from H.P. Lovecraft stories.
I had it framed and everything.
One day somebody saw it on my desk at work and offered me a higher paying job because I had a degree. I thought to myself, what would Cthulu do? I decided ripping his spine out through his chest and drinking his soul was a bad idea, so I told him it was a fake/joke degree.

Thier are several acredited fake schools you can get "real" fake degrees from, you could probably find a Santa degree online.

 
At 6/14/2005 06:41:00 AM , Blogger David said...

So my degree in Tooth-fairy-ism is fake? CRAP!!!
I feel like such a dumbass now considering I spent $3,000 and took 6 months of classes to get the degree. Just my typical luck..

 
At 6/14/2005 09:19:00 AM , Blogger KOM said...

Diva - Humble me, yes. What do you mean about your purse?

J - WWCD? That is hysterical! I'm going to get it printed on a T shirt!

David - No worries, it's a real degree. The only problem is that there is a very small job market for experts on the Tooth fairy.

All - Re-read the post this morning, and I understand how it could be completely misunderstood. I certainly did not intend any religion-bashing. Simply stated, I got to thinking that anyone who tries to tell you that they know what's going on is trying to sell you something - a degree, perhaps.

 
At 6/14/2005 05:45:00 PM , Blogger Venessa said...

I'm guessing WWCD is a video game reference. Whoa...nerdland...

 
At 6/15/2005 10:15:00 AM , Blogger KOM said...

V - that's too damn funny. I actually have tears coming out of my eyes. WWCD, the video game. Oh, man.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home