Friday, September 30, 2005

Baby you can drive my car... 'cause I can't

I stalled-out in traffic on a fairly steep hill yesterday. It happens. I quickly restarted the engine and continued the climb. I doubt the car behind me even noticed the lag. But I did.

Whenever I wasn't safely nestled into 3rd or higher, I would begin to think too hard about letting the clutch out and about any given speed I could maintain without dieseling. Soon enough I stalled again while running a work errand. I stalled again today.

I've also had trouble tying my shoes. Sometimes the devil that lives behind my eyeballs whispers "What are you doing?" When I begin to answer, I realize that I have no idea. Rabbit goes around the tree, down the hole... dynamites the duck? kisses the hunter?

Twice I've forgotten how to spell shew shoo shue shoe.

I have a theory about all of this. You see, I don't think that I know any of it - how to drive, how to spell, how to throw a baseball. It seems that at one time I knew, just not anymore. I must have practiced enough that my body just remembers what to do. As soon as I try to take my body off autopilot all hell breaks loose. My tongue sticks out the side of my mouth, sweat drips down my forehead and I knock over everything within arms reach. When my frustration level has maxed out, I try to grab something to throw against the wall; invariably said objects slips out of my grip and falls harmlessly to the floor.

At this point autopilot usually re-engages, and sometime later I find myself halfway to work, or eating a sandwhich, or doing laundry. I fall into the warm embrace of memorized routine and smile, drool pooling on my chin.

Religion is the opiate of the masses? Opium, perhaps? No, my friend, routine is humanity's binky.

3 Comments:

At 9/30/2005 10:11:00 PM , Blogger Yawn said...

Hey there folks, Kom one, Kom all! Step right up and tap that vein to a veinacular erection. Poke around a little to tease it and glide it in all nice and sweet, sorta like a skinny pecker slipping into the moisture of an 18 year old runaway. Pull back that plunger and watch the body shoot its own salty load into the rig. Wait a second- is that strychnine? What the hell is that shit? What the fuck??? Why in the hell can't I tie my necktie right??? It's either dangling around my dong or hovering above my navel! What the fuck is this shit???

Oh yeah- it's routine. Hard to get back into it when you slip out for a smoke.

 
At 10/01/2005 06:28:00 AM , Blogger Squishi said...

well okay - i find that songs I sang every day for the first 6-8 years of my life I can't remember the words to. EVERY DAY. You'd think you'd remember them, right?

So tell me the rest of this song "oranges and lemons say the bells of st clemens. When will you shave me, blah blah blah next sunday morning".

Why can't I remember that? WHY??!

 
At 10/03/2005 11:22:00 AM , Blogger Robyn said...

Can you move your tongue to the left?

If you can, great.

If you can't, um, you have a tumor?

I'll have to reference ER and get back to you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home