Thursday, December 29, 2005

That which may not be named

"I shall not cause harm to any vehicle nor the personal contents thereof, nor through inaction let that vehicle or the personal contents thereof come to harm."

A meth snorting, Asimov quoting Harry Dean Stanton reciting the Repo Code is only one of the many reasons why Repo Man is among my favorite movies.

There's a scene in which Tracey Walter is waxing shamanistic about pine tree deoderizers. "Find one in every car. You'll see."

I haven't found that to be true, but I have found that the Post Office is a time machine. A twisted, fun-house time machine which forces you to confront the ghosts of your past. The poeople who you can no longer truthfully say you know, because both you and they have changed nearly beyond recognition.

Walter later explains that since there was a time without people, people must have come from the future. People who dissapear go to the past. And they get there by flying saucer. Which is really a time machine.

I haven't found this to be true, either. But if people do dissapear from the future, they come back to the Post Office. There's no other rational explanation.

I'm pretty sure that if I spend any more time there, I'll see my future self. And I'll see that he suddenly remembers what I just saw.

And we'll walk past eachother whithout saying a word.

1 Comments:

At 12/30/2005 07:59:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Repo Man! Now that is a classic. And I loved the bit about the pine tree deodorizers. I have the soundtrack on cassette at home. So many great songs on that one.

You sent my mind into an irrecoverable tailspin on the whole post office / time travel thing. Maybe I'd better just go home now.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home