Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Musings on the Matrix

I just finished watching the 3rd installment of the Matrix.

My initial assessment: I don't get it.

Now, I understand the basics, at least enough to follow the movie. But if this series allows itself to be thought of as a modern-day Myth... I just wonder what Joseph Campbell would say?

First, why do the most capable "programs" seem to want peace? It has been suggested to me that these are the programs more able to mimic humanity. I guess that the idea is humanity = empathy, and they do not wish to see our race destroyed. Hmm. Guess the computers are a bit more forgiving than we.

Second, if Keanu is our savior, why is he unable to leave the train station? Actually, this was my favorite part of the movie. I kept imagining heavy beads of sweat pool at his brow as he tries to figure out the situation. The moviegoer can smell the kerosene burning.

Third, how are they able to save Keanu from the train station? If the train-master is God, at least in this purgatory, he could have stopped them. I thought of the Atari 2600 Pitfall! where you run too far underground and end up at the same place. Notice that the Frenchman never makes another appearance.

Why is the machine God willing to trade peace for eliminating Agent Smith? If I were a machine, I would have allowed the "savior" to defeat the threat, then rescind my promise and continue to destroy humanity. It's only logical. That is, I bet there aren't too many "Three's company" misunderstandings in the robot world.

Fourth, what thread am I following with Neo being blinded? Am I thinking Rutger Hauer as the Blind samurai, or Oedipus?

I understand that the movie preaches free will over determinism, or even calvanism. Even at the expense of the calvanists among them. I would argue that this is the main issue. The world is dictated not by divine will, or even cause and effect. What's left.. chaos theory? Somehow those damn dinosaurs are gunna breed. Somehow the unlikely paring of a distraught savior and an all-powerful machine is going to end in momentary bliss.

And what about the human batteries that are still atrophying away in pods? Did Smith overtake them all? If so, did they all die when he was "deleted"? If not, does peace include taking back the human survivors?

God dammit! This was Helm's Deep meets Crouching Tiger meets Star Wars meets Spinoza. I ask you, what the hell was I supposed to take away from this?

I'm off to read Finnegan's Wake. I'm sure it will make more sense.

3 Comments:

At 3/31/2005 07:33:00 AM , Blogger Jerk Of All Trades 2.0 said...

I think the Wothehellski Bros just didn't know how to end the story. They came up with a cool visual effect, used it with a idea EVERYONE has already pondered before "What if this is all a dream?" and ran out of ideas by the 3rd movie. Truthfully did they introduce anything new in the 3rd one? No, they just threw MORE at you. The trainstation could've been the best part of the movie, but once again they had a idea & they didn't know what to do with it. So it was just "we'll have them chase around the guy from the Mad Max movies for awhile".
I was very dissapointed with the 3rd and final movie, too many questions unanswered. They want us to want more, so they can make sequels, but I have grown tired of their "One trick pony".

I won't be surprised if EVERY film they do after this makes us feel like we are just watching another person still in "The Matrix". Same effects, same odd colored film. Sad.

 
At 4/11/2005 03:27:00 PM , Blogger Sharon Rossman said...

I've never understood any of it! At least you get some of it.

 
At 4/15/2005 11:34:00 AM , Blogger MelTheFruitFly said...

I actually left the theater *angry* after seeing the third one. I had defended the middle film, telling all the detractors that they would make up for it... I mean, the first one seemed so brilliant to me.

I still claim the first one as a long time favorite, but the sequels never should have been made, IMHO.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home