Friday, May 20, 2005

Idiocy - a parable II

My brother in law, who watches my son, had to take his own son to the doctors this afternoon. He came by the office to drop little-guy off. I had cleared it with boss-man, so I was able to leave early today.

When we got home, I asked him what he wanted to do: stack blocks, look through a picture book, or maybe ride the rocking horse? His reply was to jump up on the couch and cross his legs. This means that he wants to watch a video. Sadly, we know how to raise couch-potatos.

I slid the Tele-tubbies tape into the VCR, and he squealed with laughter.

Later, after my wife returned home and the tape was over, I ran to the store to pick up a few essentials for dinner.

While dinner was cooking, I turned the television back on and started flipping.

An aside here: is there anything more relaxing than just channel surfing? I know that I drive my wife to hair-pulling, foam spitting insanity, but it just soothes me to flick. flick. flick.

I noticed that the further up I flicked, the worse the static. I tried to go back down to channel 2 and 3, but they were completely blocked.

Indignantly, I decided to call Comcast (the local cable provider). While I was upset at yet another interruption in our service, I tried to be courteous. I explained that our cable appeared to be out of order, and asked if she (the CS rep) had any idea what the problem might be.

"Well, sir, I am not showing a cable outage in your area. However, this is determined by the number of calls that we receive. I will log this, and if more occur we will look further into the situation."

I waited wordlessly.

"Oh. And all of our technicians have gone home for the night, but I can arrange for one to visit tomorrow."

"I think that would be best," I said, not a little perturbed under my friendly demeanor.

After arranging the for the "cable-guy" to arrive, I hung up and decided to do further research. Squeezing my hand behind the entertainment console I jiggled and shimmied the coaxial cable at the wall. Satisfied that it was properly secured, I tried the same thing with the TV connection. And the VCR connection.

All seemed proper, so I went into our bedroom to check the other TV.

To my surprise, the signal was crystal clear. I flicked up and down the channels, just to make sure.

"Crap," I thought. I probably have a bad coax cable. Our entertainment system weighs 300 tons, and I have purposely forgone updating several A/V components just so that I would never have to mess with the wires, weight and mess again.

Heading back to the front room, sudden inspiration struck.

"R," I asked "is the VCR still on?"

And it was.

Sheepishly this time, I called Comcast back to cancel the service call.

"Were you able to fix the problem yourself?" the CS rep asked hopefully.

"Yes. Er, no. Er.. yes. You see, I'm an idiot. I left the VCR on, and, well... you know..."

"Sir, you're not an idiot. You wouldn't believe how many calls we get for exactly this 'problem'."

I bet I would.

The moral of this story? Be kind to your CS representative, even if you know that you're right. Because the odds are even that you aren't.

7 Comments:

At 5/21/2005 02:27:00 AM , Blogger Squishi said...

Being on the recieving end of the biggest bus company in Australia's switchboard, I know all about customers like you, and customers who are not like you.

Always be polite, ALWAYS, because courtesy and humility can get you EVERYWHERE.

We don't forget. We NEVER forget.............

 
At 5/21/2005 02:50:00 AM , Blogger KOM said...

Word, Squishi. (do people still say word?)

I worked in phone CS for 3 years, general CS for 8. I know... oh yes, I know.

 
At 5/21/2005 07:26:00 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

I used to work CS for your cable provider's largest competition.... and personally, I think it is total crap that they make you wait without help for "more" people to call.

I was also horribly lenient on the people that called in for extensions to pay their bill....needless to say I was csr for the people and the "man" at my company didn't really approve of my tactics.

I quit shortly after starting...it was a "filler" job though while I searched for a job I really wanted. My poor Hub still works for them though... but hes not a csr...so its not rough for him =)

 
At 5/21/2005 08:10:00 AM , Blogger David said...

I have never had this problem with the cable company, but don't get me started on the phone company.

 
At 5/21/2005 10:18:00 AM , Blogger PSUMommy said...

So many Cable Company stories, so little time...and add cable modem on top of that! Our cable at our old place would go out if it RAINED. The satellite we had previously didn't even go out when it rained! But each and every time..."unplug it for 1 minute, plug it in and it should work....oh? That didn't work? Well, ma'am, it must be something wrong in your system."

Not once were they right. Mwahaha.

Oh, sorry. Lots of leftover frustration about our previous cable company- it was a bad relationship that just had to end!

 
At 5/21/2005 10:02:00 PM , Blogger MelTheFruitFly said...

As a lifelong CS person (and a manager for 3 years) - please please please always be kind to your CS rep. Unless they give you attitude, then just go off. They deserve it.

I always try to be nice to the CS reps... but you do NOT want to be the CS rep that pisses me off with bad CS. That will send me completely over the edge. Not in a nice way either.

 
At 5/21/2005 11:25:00 PM , Blogger KOM said...

I certainly did not mean to imply that the service was bad - the afforementioned idiocy was mine, not theirs.

And yes, everyone, listen up. It would seem many of us have been in the CS industry at one time or another, but for everyone else: be kind. CS is a thankless, shitty job. Be thankful that someone even answers the phone!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home