Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Cryin' over spilt work

Notice: This post is work related, and will be very, very boring. Please check the archives for more "interesting" material. Check back later, and we'll be back to either the political or situational funny - too early to call.

Please, God, do not make me go back to work tomorrow.

The union audit barely over, and I get a call from our workers comp carrier that it's time for thier audit. All that they need are the payroll files.

Oh yeah, and separate, per worker, per job, breakdowns of payroll for 15 different jobs since mid-march 2004. I will be spending the next week and a half sorting through hard-copies of invoices, looking for job codes that are never provided, hoping to find some link in the thread. For 15 separate jobs.

Thank god, as Kaci has mentioned, I'm not human - I'm HAL 2005, dammit.

I may have mentioned that I do outside billing for a competitive company. We have a good relationship, and they throw us a lot of work, so my boss has decided that it would be best for me to do the competitor's AR as well. This is all and good, except when the sub-contracted companies call me and ask why they haven't been paid? Just yesterday, I received a manilla folder, stuffed to the max with overdue invoices from one of these sub-contracted jobs. I assume that I am supposed to compare these jobs to what has been billed, and let both of the interested parties know what has been billed, and what is in limbo?

Did I mention that the MFer that I bill for sends random batches of work orders, which are always out of order, and usually run at least 5 months out of date? And this same asshole tells his creditors to call me to investigate?

I told my boss that this will take me the better part of a week, if we're lucky. He doesn't give a shit. As long as I'm in the office, he's happy. Okay, boss. Guess I won't have time for payroll. No AP. Maybe the lights will get turned off? No AR? Our employees may be upset to not receive a paycheck. But fuck it, you're right. Better to worry about a competitor's billing issues.

Shit - I forgot. Union wage changes are due. Of course, these changes couldn't possibly coincide with actaul paroll dates. Let's make everything take effect on Wednesday! On two separate payroll changes! How am I supposed to reconcile a union payroll report with at least 3 separate changes in June? I'm thinking that I can fudge it, and be gone before the next audit. Holy fuck.

On top of everything, contract jobs change every day or so, and my boss doesn't bother to tell me until it has been billed. He is in the office for a total of 2 hours per week. Which is a blessing as much as it is a curse. But shit, man, tell me what's up!

In a nutshell, my job is like the scene in Brain Candy:

"You mean that thing you just mentioned, just now? Oh, we are right on top of that, Don."

10 Comments:

At 6/08/2005 01:26:00 AM , Blogger THEMARSHAL said...

Sorry I didnt read the post. I did however notice that you play chess. Lets play some time, I am sure we can set up an online game. I will read the post some time tommorow, its late umm errrr or early I guess.

 
At 6/08/2005 05:17:00 AM , Blogger Jerk Of All Trades 2.0 said...

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily" - Bluto (Animal House)

 
At 6/08/2005 06:22:00 AM , Blogger David said...

You should walk in drop the files on his desk and tell him "Did you forget? I start vacation today, See ya next week."

 
At 6/08/2005 08:07:00 AM , Blogger THEMARSHAL said...

Well now that I have read it, I have nothing to say. It looks like J has covered the best possible option.

 
At 6/08/2005 10:54:00 AM , Blogger Yawn said...

How does a constipated accountant get relief? He works it out with a pencil.

 
At 6/08/2005 12:24:00 PM , Blogger KOM said...

Marshal - Yes. I'm more than a bit rusty though.

J - Done and done.

David - I should... but I've got to hold my vacation for "paternity leave"

D&BQ - It's that long moment of darkness in the middle of every day.

Yawn - It broke. Now what?

Kaci - Important is relative. Basically I'm the only one available to do these things...

 
At 6/08/2005 06:14:00 PM , Blogger Sharon Rossman said...

Wow, I really wanted to read that post, but it just got kinda boring, take no offense! I will look forward to more happy satirical ones from here on out.

 
At 6/08/2005 08:54:00 PM , Blogger Squishi said...

um. Take stress leave. You get paid, you get to see doctors who give you nice drugs, and you get a holiday.

Simple :)

heh

(Spoken like a true govt employee, eh?)

 
At 6/09/2005 02:04:00 PM , Blogger Yawn said...

Indeed, the inspiration for Yawning Anus- the actual place- is suffering through a "ran out of funds 75% through fiscal year - must find more) routine. The interpretation of tax law and use of states funds has produced a nasty quagmire that is finally losing its boil and breaking down in to a simple process of changing personnel action forms to another groovy account loaded with vitamins and money. Minerals too. I say give a damn secret agency administrator some peace before he "borrows" your DNA for something nasty. That's what I say to them. Yeah.

 
At 6/09/2005 07:46:00 PM , Blogger PSUMommy said...

Ah, yes...I don't miss days like that. Work sucks. I had a Zima for you last night.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home