Sunday, June 26, 2005

The land of flat and plenty

So.

We were sailing across the mirror-smooth ocean that is Kansas. I remember saying to Aaron that "this is the closest that I've ever been to the sky." The clouds seemed to be within reach - there was not a single vertical distraction to put the sky into context.

Aaron and I were on our way to see Monte in Tennessee, via Boulder, Colorado. Via I-80.

One enters Kansas from east Colorado, and you know immediately that you have entered the "low country". The signs help: "Pull over to see the world's largest prairie dog!", "One night only - the fistulated cow!", "You think your ball of twine is big - check this shit out!", "Remember that thing that you thought you saw on the highway, then decided that you were high and just let it go? -- we have the world's only female!!"

As near as I can figure, Kansas is approximately 400 miles of desperate one-upmanship.

Aaron and I were cool, man. We had our half-ounce of bud hidden in a Crybaby Wah-wah pedal. Oh yeah. The cops would never look there, man. The dogs would never sniff there, man. It would be totally invisible, seeing as we didn't also carry a guitar, man. Yeah, we were cool.

I was able to take about 5 minutes of Kansas before I told Aaron "Open up that wah, and let's get us high!"

Dude rolled a wrist-thick joint, I tell you. Then he put "The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking" on the CD player. I had never heard this album before, but kept promising myself that I would, one day.

That day was now. Err, then.

One can drive pretty fast in Kansas. Even when one drives a Festiva. The terminally stagnant, flat "landscape" sped past our windows as we accelerated from giddy, to high, to baked, to balls-out stupid. Eyes quarter-mast, we grooved to the Clapton and Waters. Something deep was happening - the music entered my soul.

On the other hand, I have not listened to that album in 10 years, and I don't remember a damn thing about it. But I digress.

I think that it was cotton-mouth, what made us stop. We needed something to drink. Luckily, before we lost the ability to read, Aaron noticed a sign that read something to the effect of "Historical site - all the brass replicas of shit that wasn't actually in the Civil War and that you've never heard of, anyway." It seemed as good a place to stop as any in the Star-Trek extras and locations that is anywhere, Kansas.

"Dude, heh. Let's pull over here. Heh...uhhh."
"Hunh? What? Heh."

Yup. That's as concrete a decision as one can expect from two guys who are balls-out, stupid high.

Imagine a Viking long-house. Now populate this house with brass knicknacks. Rows of them. Stories of them. Dewey-decimal-'s of them. Let's now zoom to the visual abuse that is the bathroom gauntlet. Let's follow KOM as he snickers and weaves, trying to find the restroom. Slowly, he has found the trail. He opens a door and finds the urinal. KOM shuts the door behind him, and expects the next few seconds to be non-eventful, at best. Non-intrusive at least.

Halfway through the oh-so-sweet, liberating pee, he came. I don't know how y'all grow your boys in Kansas, but he was 12 if he was 80. Kid had a squeegee and he leapt into the room like a fucking circus midget and screamed "Whatamayayafolrumstiolskin!"

I screamed myself, and turning while still pissing said something like "Whatthefuckdidyoujustaaahhhwhatareyoutryingtodo?!!"

Crazy frog-boy promptly back-leg leapt to the counter top and squeegee'd my piss off of the "looking glass". Eyes wide like an Anglican grotesque, he perched on the faucet and waited for me to make a move. I tried to head-fake a couple of times, but it was to no use. I finally ran screaming from the bathroom like a banshee, knocking over any pregnant woman and brass civil-war chess set that was in my way.

Aaron had just about fueled up the Festiva.

To this day, I have never smoked grass in Kansas again. I have never stopped in Kansas again. I have never been in Kansas again. Fucking X-files, man. I'm shivering as I write this. Crazy shit, man. Crazy shit.

10 Comments:

At 6/26/2005 04:14:00 AM , Blogger Squishi said...

No wonder Dorothy had problems.... she'd probably had a bit too much of the "fun" stuff, and it really *wasn't* a dream at all.........

 
At 6/26/2005 08:06:00 AM , Blogger Passerby A said...

Maybe that wasn't a bathroom after all...

 
At 6/26/2005 08:22:00 AM , Blogger SassyAssy said...

Are you sure you weren't in the kitchen?

Kansas/Nebraska...they are all the same...they suck. Any place that you can see a tornado 200 miles away is the place I want to avoid. I lived in Hell, Nebraska for the longest 2 years of my life...good thing you were toking some weed or you may have died from boredom prior to the urinal incident.

 
At 6/26/2005 09:25:00 AM , Blogger kotamaris said...

that was beautiful, man. Hey! Float that spliff this way, man.

 
At 6/27/2005 03:41:00 AM , Blogger Jerk Of All Trades 2.0 said...

My Grandparents live in Kansas. You don't need drugs to see weird shit there. After the first 100 miles or so the lack of visual stimulation makes your mind start freaking out and providing it's own entertainment. Biggest prairie dog, seen it. The big statue of one the sign is talking about, and the real phuc'n thing that ran across the road one night out there. It EASILY was small brown bear sized. I swear it ran out, stopped, flipped me off and then moonwalked to the other side of the road. It was waving as I went past.

Kansas is TOO damn flat.

 
At 6/27/2005 07:41:00 AM , Blogger Yawn said...

I'm actually very partial to Kansas City. Not the Kansas side, but the Missouri side. Believe me there are far worse places than Kansas and corn fields. Places where they grow cotton in arid environments are much nastier. The descendants of black people that followed the cotton after the civil war live at war with the marginalized white man who carries with him to this day that chunk of psychology instilled by the plantation owner to keep the elites elite and the marginalized in chains: "Hey Whitey, at least you're not black- see, things aren't so bad after all." I present Tulia, Texas as exhibit A. Yes, cotton brings with it a sneaking sinister serpent of marginalization and hatred.

 
At 6/27/2005 09:41:00 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

that story would have been great to hear BEFORE I drove across Kansas!

thankfully I am safe.


You really need to keep us updated on potentially dangerous situations like that !

 
At 6/27/2005 09:50:00 AM , Blogger Jerk Of All Trades 2.0 said...

This shit gets funnier everytime I read it. The circus midget part makes the whole damn story. Thanks man, good stuff.

 
At 6/27/2005 04:58:00 PM , Blogger KOM said...

Diva & QofS - That has crossed my mind, but I'll be damned why they put a urinal in the kitchen.

Jaws - At one point in NV I thougt I would have the same experience, but it turned out to be an over-excited yuppie retiree. Maybe next time.

Decadence - Ar-Kansas. I had never thought of that. Kind of like Urkansas?

GWNP - Ok. Arkansas, check. Oklahoma, check. I'm also going to write off ND and ID. Anywhere I'm missing?

Lisa - You didn't give us a warning. But maybe it's best to have learned later.

 
At 6/27/2005 10:23:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!

Thanks KOM -- I totally needed that.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home