Thursday, August 04, 2005

Religion and KOM - Fool's paradise

I'm going to stay up until I get this right.

I often play around here in my LP playground. In fact, I assume that it would appear to the uninitiated that I am the worst sort of atheist. Case in point: my rolling-stone-level reverend status.

But this was never meant as a joke. I had actually been asked to officiate a (still pending) wedding. What's a guy to do? It was never my mission to embarrass some denomination, but simply to receive legitimate status, per my friend's request.

I have hinted before about my religious belief. But as for most of you out there, it's much more complicated than can be explained in a simple post. But I'm going to try again.

I was raised in a very religious household. My mother, when she was about my age, decided that she was 'born again'. To be clear, 'decided' is an unfair word. For her, it was ordained, and she could not but follow the cause. My father, and to this day I don't understand why, followed suit. But he is much more like myself (or I, much more like him), and has extensively studied his Christian heritage. He went to seminary school for years in order to be a Deacon at our local church.

He has told me that during his final exam, he failed only one subject: morality. It would seem that his humanist leanings are too liberal for the Church. Strange, that.

My mother tells me that when I was but a little tike, I wanted to be a priest. She also tells me that when I was not more than 4 years old, I consciously made a decision to "let the Lord into my heart."

I've never told her that I remember it vividly. I was on the fourth to last step of our staircase, and I prayed to God to redeem me, and to be a part of me. Perhaps for children even more so than for men, true supplication means something. To this day, it makes me feel like a failure since I was unable to live up to my purest ideals.

But life and knowledge get in the way.

I did not simply abandon my inherited faith. Actually, I learned more than I think many have. I would direct you, if you give the slightest shit, to my first post on LP. If you care to read it, I think that I make a very strong case for my points. Still, it was miles away from what I cared about. This exchange was precipitated by boredom, and for all of my arguments, I really don't give a shit. I just like to argue, I guess.

Not being comfortable with simple science, or with institutionalized religion, I spent nearly every credit for which I cared to spend money studying philosophy and religion at the local JC. That's Junior College, not Jesus Christ, smart ass.

Assessing the philosophy that I've studied, I can only come to one conclusion: I don't know. Really.

I never mean to discredit religion. In fact, I think it's an important revelation for the masses. But an opiate, at that. Whatever makes one accept the 'golden rule' is okay in my book. If worshipping gravel makes you a decent human being, then I say good for you.

So. I've got my 'Pascal's Wager' ace in the hole, and that makes it easier for me to be so glib. Still, I recognize that if I were born in India, for example, I would likely be Hindu, Buddhist or even Muslim. What can I say?

Are you sure that if you were born elsewhere, that you would be Christian? Are you sure of that?

I don't know. Really.

8 Comments:

At 8/05/2005 04:44:00 AM , Blogger Cincy Diva said...

I think the born again experience, at least when you're young and living at home is...how to put this...something you becuase you want your parents to be proud of you. You want to feel a part of something. In my case, I felt I was damaged and hoped it would make me whole. It didn't and I moved on. I don't discredit any religion. I embrace them all since they all have the same goal in the end. Enlightenment...well except for Scientology...they're just creepy. Get thee behind me Thetan!

 
At 8/05/2005 07:11:00 AM , Blogger Squishi said...

i like Christianity and follow it. It's just the organised Church I don't like. I have seen nothing but backstabbing, bitching, money wasting and hurt from members towards me and also everyone else I've ever met there, so I tend not to go anymore. It's funny, you go there to hear "love thy neighbour" yet you won't sit next to the person next to you cos they dared to bring Iced Vo Vo's instead of tea cake... just stupid.

 
At 8/05/2005 08:28:00 AM , Blogger Diane Mandy said...

I was raised in a very strict faith and followed it for most of my life. But in recent years I have struggled. These days I am opening myself up to new ideas and experiences because I never allowed myself to do so before. This is an area I wrestle with. Live and let live is what I say.

 
At 8/05/2005 09:38:00 AM , Blogger Robyn said...

My father was baptized as a Catholic when he was 13 years old. My mom (of course) says it's because he wanted to be the opposite from his mother, who was baptist. I've never actually talked to him about it, as he renounced all faith when he lost his first child to a brain tumor at the age of 4. Compared to that, my questions don't really seem to matter any more.

I do know that my Granmother was cut off from her family after marrying my grandfather, a Catholic. Apparently it was a huge scandal to them back in the 40's. That is why I have such a hard time going to church, because church is filled with hypocritical assholes who do nothing but judge others all day long. I know that's unfair to those people who are genuinely good decent folk, but how many bad experiences do you have to have before losing faith?

 
At 8/05/2005 11:00:00 AM , Blogger THEMARSHAL said...

"In fact, I think it's an important revelation for the masses. But an opiate, at that."

I couldnt aggree more. I have absolutely nothing against religions, I just dont follow one. They are for the most part possitive and good for society and if it takes one to make people better thats fine by me.

Oh and by the way thats cool that you are "truly an ordained minister in the Universal Life Church." If your friend wants you to conduct his wedding id say go for it, he must believe in you.

 
At 8/05/2005 11:53:00 PM , Blogger Squishi said...

I'm from a staunch Baptist background, and according to my grandparents it is the ONLY form of Christianity ("that place You go to" rather than "that church you go to"). ANyway, my cousin married a Catholic and converted. She got disinherited for it.

However, my mum's cousin married a Catholic, but it was okay as he was a "good man" because she was born with no legs and needed taking care of and it was nice of him to do so.

Go figure. Hypocrits everywhere.

 
At 8/06/2005 03:20:00 PM , Blogger SassyAssy said...

This is one area of life that I have put on hold for a while. I was raised pretty strictly and developed such a narrow mind over the years. I then experienced a crisis of faith when my mom died. I ams still feeling my way, but with more compassion and acceptance of other people. I still have more core beliefs, but I am not living the restrictive life I was raised with--much to the dismay of family.

 
At 8/07/2005 12:51:00 AM , Blogger KOM said...

Cincy - Actually, it was indeed different. I agree with your general point, but I remember it being a solitary thing - I told my mother later.

Squishi - Exactly. But if all of the backstabbing somehow cures cleft-palletes in Africa, who am I to say no to a Pancake dinner?

R - I wish it were only a scandal in the 40's.

Marshall - Thanks. I don't know if they have ever been serious (lots of pot, over there.) But I want to be prepared.

CSG - A little off subject, don't you think? :) You can always shoot me an email!

Porter - Any truth to there being no atheists in a foxhole? Methinks I would be much more religious if I were in your boots.

Liberty - All that I can say is that I hope your sister-in-law stays safe.

QofS - I hear you. Really.

Kaci - Another off-topic response? I'll forgive you simply because you've come back.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home