Sunday, September 11, 2005

A win, a loss, and terror

I played two sports in highschool:

I played football. I really enjoyed the game, though I often played second string. So much that is glossed over watching a professional or moreso a college game became crystal clear to me. Basically, what I learned in HS taught me to appreciate the game that I've always loved even more.

So how about the Forty-fucking-Niners? True, I bit my nails up to my elbow during the last 3 minutes. But, goddamn! Greatest show on turf, indeed. Well, granted, it wasn't on turf. But who cares? We're 50% of our winning record from last year! And tell me that the SF defense isn't the best you've seen in literally 10 years.

York aside, perhaps we are finally, finally rebuilding? Naysayers, let me have my day in the sun. I know that we will probably have another losing season, and it is so painful to watch. But today, tonight, we were gods. Er, they were gods. But I get some of my mojo from them. We have a deal. Ya know. Whatever.

I played tennis. I know, I know. This is not the first thing that you would admit to a new girlfriend. Sadly, my only varsity patch was in tennis. I never even bothered buying a jacket. But gosh darnit, I love that game.

I only watch a few select matches from the major tournements every year, but I do watch them. And so I found myself switching back and forth between my beloved Niners and the US Open Men's final. How refreshing to see Federer not playing Roddick!

I didn't like Aggasi for a long time. I don't know exactly why. Perhpas it was the balding mullet. Perhaps it was the Nikon commercials. But now, I love the guy. Still holding on at 35 is amazing. This is a sport where the phenoms (like Agassi) come out in their teens, then often fade away.

But Agassi has continued to impress, if not always win, for years. He married the person that I personally think is Dave Mustaine (have you ever seen Mustaine and Graf in the same place?), but somehow managed to produce children. Truly, mama, he's a magic man.

And so it was disheartening to see him lose again. But that 2nd set was awesome, wasn't it? And has anyone ever lost with such grace?

I was going to write today about my experience with Septemer the Eleventh, 2001. I've had it half written for weeks. But it wouldn't come. I guess it's not ready. Who's ever ready to talk about something so sad?

So let's be happy. Let's focus on the trivial things that give us joy! I love my Niners, though I have no illusions of them being a play-off team. Let's savor every win. Also, let's give it to Agassi. He seems to have a good family life, he's still ticking after every great name in the last 15 years has come and gone. And he still has class.

Sports are not the be-all, end-all that some would have us believe. But they are an excellent distraction. And they can remind us that not all is amiss in this world. Even when losing, we can be gracefull. Even when we have nothing left, we can give more.

I love America, and I love sports. Right now, at least, there is no room in my heart for hate. Perhaps we should take this day to remember how great we are, not how vulnerable we were. Or am I extrapolating too much?

Fuck it. I'm happy. Even today, even on the 11th of September.

Perhpaps next year I can talk about the hole in my soul.

3 Comments:

At 9/11/2005 07:13:00 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

I watched that today also... I was rooting for Agassi with every fibre of my being...

I so wanted him to win !! I hated that they kept saying how each set was going to take it out of him because he was so old... dammit I am 35! I thought he rocked....

 
At 9/11/2005 08:22:00 PM , Blogger Kara0303 said...

As trivial as it is on such a sad anniversary, football is so much easier to talk about. Like you said, maybe next year.

 
At 9/12/2005 04:08:00 AM , Blogger Jerk Of All Trades 2.0 said...

I remember thnking last season that the Niners should stick with Rattay. Did they listen? NOOooooo.

They wasted(?) the pick on a QB when they shouda got a RB or TE.

Now they have a high priced backup. I guess San Diego has started a trend.

My......GOD......I HAVEN'
T seen Dave Mustaine and Steffi same place, same time!

Spooky.

Aggasi and Dave kissing.
(Shudder)
(gag)
(Shudder)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home