Thursday, September 01, 2005

Mi peeve es su peeve

I don't like Cake

Let me rephrase that: I'm not particularly fond of cake. It's not that I think it tastes bad (although I do actually dislike frosting), but it doesn't get me off.

Other people go absolutely monkey nuts about cake. Cake and Krispy Kreme. Cake and Krispy Kreme and Entenmann's. Ok, this list could go on for a while. What I'm trying to say is that as a general rule, sweets don't do it for me, and it's always weirded me out a little how into sweets some people are. Can you imagine a birthday beef-jerkey with candles? Bring it on! Easter and hot cross herbed foccacia? Mmm. Salami for desert? Why the hell not!

Which is not to say that I eat healthfully by any means. I just don't care about sweets. But it gets me into trouble.

Apparently everyone on earth makes the best cake you've ever eaten. But you wouldn't know, because you haven't been eating cake. Well, if you were me.

"Why don't you try some?"

"No thank you."

"You don't like my cooking?"

{sigh} "No, I just don't like cake."

"You don't like cake??"

"I don't dislike cake, I just don't care for it. Other people seem to enjoy it, so I'd really rather let them have their cake. And eat it, too. So to speak. Heh."

{incredulously} "You don't like cake??"

At this point, I generally change the subject before said cake-baker goes all Ike Turner on my ass.

So it seems that I offend people by not eating cake. Screw it. Now I'm going to be offended that you people keep trying to make me eat this crap! I've officially added birthday cake to my list of pet peeves. And Krispy Kreme. And Entenmann's. I forsake you, baked sugar goods! Go tempt someone else - I find you as exciting as a dead hooker.

But I know that someone, somewhere, is blogging about the kill-joy bastard who won't even try her cake.

13 Comments:

At 9/01/2005 03:35:00 PM , Blogger Kingfisher said...

I get this all the time at work.

"There's cake/danish/donuts/pie/solidified sugar-flour mixture in the conference room."

"No thanks. I don't like _______."

I might as well have dropped my pants from the looks I get.

But pizza in the conference room? Get the hell outta my way.

 
At 9/01/2005 04:36:00 PM , Blogger Jerk Of All Trades 2.0 said...

I'm with you man.

I eat some stuff every once in awhile, but I'm not into all the sweets.

I'm down with the salty. Jerky, chips, pretzels, mixed nuts....I'm there, but not really into all the cakes and stuff.

Cookies on the other hand I like, but....if you notice...they are saltier than all the other dessert stuff.

 
At 9/01/2005 05:44:00 PM , Blogger Yawn said...

Birthday cake does suck. I'm with you on the birthday beef jerky.

 
At 9/01/2005 07:33:00 PM , Blogger SassyAssy said...

I will just have to make you some birthday foccacia. Thanks for the heads up.

 
At 9/01/2005 11:19:00 PM , Blogger KOM said...

KF - I've never turned up cold, office pizza either. Actually, at my last job I got addicted to a certain brand of vegetable pizza. I still jones for it.

J - I'm with you, man. Salty/savory is for me. With the exception of icecream... it's my cryptonite. I could eat French Vanilla every day, all day, until the end of time.

IG - I actually thought about the Diva. I trust that she'll understand...

Yawn - Peppered or Teriyaki? Happy Birthday, compadre!

QofS - You are too kind! I will happily accept your unsweetened bread wares!

 
At 9/02/2005 12:20:00 AM , Blogger Squishi said...

my sister cant stand cake either. Since she was a kid she has refused to eat it "It has an odd texture". My grandmothers were sponge cake making machines and never understood her dislike and tried to force feed it to her and were offended when she said no.

Who says you HAVE to like it? Personally, i can't get enough... but still!

 
At 9/02/2005 06:47:00 AM , Blogger Diane Mandy said...

Two posts about what you don't like.. How about two things that you do like?

 
At 9/02/2005 08:54:00 AM , Blogger PSUMommy said...

My brother doesn't like sweets at all. Come to think of it- I know quite a few people who don't like cake in general. Both of my brothers had things like HUGE granola bars or pies instead of birthday cake. And although I do like cake, there are a bunch of other sweets a like a LOT better- like cookies or ice cream.

Unless the cake is chocolate and the options are not.

 
At 9/02/2005 08:57:00 AM , Blogger Yawn said...

Peppered 100%. Maybe a little venison jerky as a chaser.

 
At 9/02/2005 09:08:00 AM , Blogger Robyn said...

The only time I think you should just shut your mouth and eat the damn cake is at Christmas when Bobby Joe's wife makes her mean-ass fruitcake (Ack!). Or Curly Sue McGillicutty makes her world famous rum balls. It's Christmas man. As long as your not allergic to it, just take some. You don't even have to eat it.

Or, just say your allergic. People's feelings really get hurt over food - regardless if it's sweets or whatever.

I bake all the time, but I could give a crap if people eat it or not. However, at a recent bridal shower, we were asked to bring recipes for the bride-to-be. Her future mother in law was reading through the recipe cards, and very flippantly came across MY recipe for banana nut bread, and said really loudly "Oh, I have a GREAT recipe for banana nut bread. I'll have to give THAT one to you." I admit, I prickled a little bit. But, I think that woman is a little bit socially retarded.

Besides, I have a MAJOR sweet tooth - and it really hellps me out that you don't like sweets too much - more for me!

 
At 9/02/2005 01:43:00 PM , Blogger Moxie Cotton said...

I'm into cookies. Not the ugly home-made choco chip variety, but just about anything else.

 
At 9/02/2005 02:23:00 PM , Blogger KOM said...

Squishi - I can stand cake, I just don't get what all the hoopla is about.

DM - I had the same thought. Lots of negativity. But it's simply much more fun to bitch.

 
At 9/03/2005 06:42:00 AM , Blogger Passerby A said...

Unfortunately, I've read this and I'm going to ask
.
.
.
You don't like cake?????

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home