Thursday, October 20, 2005

KOM is a big fat racist

I've also noticed that KOM is as likely as not to refer to himself in the 3rd person.

I received an interesting comment on one of my recent posts. Anonymous states, simply, "you sound like a big fat racist." I was torn about responding to this comment. You know, the whole 'acknowledge them and the terrorists win' scenario. But I've also been thinking a lot about comments made by Stephen Jackson regarding the NBA dress code. So I guess it's time for LP's monthly race-inspired post.

Anonymous, who incidentally left her IP address and location, came to LP through a Blogger search for the term "asian woman". This lead her to the post titled "Autumn dreaming", linked above.

This post begins with me describing two women that I saw in a bank. One of them happened to be Asian, the other white. Why did I mention this? I mean, it wasn't really necessary to the story. By way of an answer, I will re-submit the post in its entirety, all possible offending material removed.


All-seasons inclusive, non-sexual fantasizing

I was in a place. I noticed two earth natives. One of them smiled.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I like sweats.


Hmm. This didn't turn out as I had hoped - that's actually a pretty funny post. Well, good enough for these pages, anyway. My point was supposed to be that description is necessary to the immersion of the tale. All verbs and no adjectives make Jack a dull story.

I stated that I assumed that the Asian woman (heretofore 'younger woman' to avoid typing "Asian woman" and "white woman" over and over in a post about racism) was the older woman's care provider. Why? Because she was handling the older woman's accounts, and was clearly not blood related. Could she have been a daughter-in-law? Why the heck not. That's why I wrote "assumed". It could have been any number of scenarios. Yet, regardless of the relationship, she was providing the older woman a service. That counts as a 'care provider', right? Besides, is there a stereotype that I've missed about Asian care-givers? If I had written that I assumed the younger woman was responsible for the older woman's laundry, then I think Anonymous would have had more of a point. It would have been stereotypical and taken completely out of context.

I also stated that I assumed that the younger woman was bilking the older woman. Again, is this a stereotype that I've missed? Are Asians known by everyone but me to be predatory cheats? Or have we come so far in Bleeding Heart Land that only white males are capable of doing negative things? Why did I assume that the older woman was being bilked? Because I would have done it. While meant in jest, I think it's pretty clear that I was projecting my own psyche onto the younger woman.

So, Anonymous, I submit that if anyone is racist here, it's you, in that race matters to you in more than an incidental fashion. I was just describing the situation - you are the one with the hang-ups. Don't lay 'em on me.

Moving to the NBA.

Has everyone lost their fucking minds? Why is there even debate about the dress code? It's racist to ban wearing chains or pendants outside of clothing while "on the clock"?

When did racism stop being about civil rights and become the bogeyman of every person who doesn't like a situation? Didn't get your white-ass into college? Blame the native American who "stole" your scholarship. Didn't get the job as a hostess? Could it be because you don't speak English? A dress code at work? Must be the man trying to stamp out your culture.

I'm not even going to bring up the McDonalds uniform argument. It's too obvious.

What I see are a bunch of spoiled brats that get paid ridiculously well to play a game, yet cry foul when they are required to present themselves as the league sees fit.

Jason Richardson states "You still wear a suit, you still could be a crook. You see all what happened with Enron and Martha Stewart. Just because you dress a certain way doesn't mean you're that way."

That's truish, in and of itself. Don't judge a book by it's cover, and all that. Except that it completely misses the point. Will requiring the players to dress a certain way help the league? I don't know, and I couldn't possibly give less of a fuck. But theirs is not to wonder why, theirs is to but play and... well, not die. Get paid a lot, I guess. Once they own the league, they can set their own rules (and lord knows that the players make enough money that they could buy it.) In the meantime, when management says "jump shot", they should say "how high?"

Says Jackson, "I love wearing my jewelry. But I love my job. I love playing basketball more than I love getting fined and getting suspended."

Amen.

And if I'm wrong, maybe I am a big fat racist.

11 Comments:

At 10/20/2005 02:22:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

I don't think you are big and fat at all...

;)

 
At 10/21/2005 02:01:00 AM , Blogger rich bachelor said...

Waiiit a minute. Both of those women were white.

 
At 10/21/2005 05:46:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well... one, there is no picture of you on you're site, so there's no way of knowing if you are fat or not.

I further accuse your anonymous commenter of being "size-ist" by using "fat" as a derogatory term. How dare she? Doesn't she know that attitudes and casual comments like that are what keep contributing the blatent hostility faced by persons of size all over the country?

And two... Dude, it's DANGEROUS to wear all kinds of jewelry while playing what is becoming more and more of a contact sport. Do these guys want to get their nice sparkly chains caught on someone's jeweled rolex and have it be yanked off their head, possibly taking an ear with it? Seriously, some things aren't about fashion...

 
At 10/21/2005 09:06:00 AM , Blogger KOM said...

TGIUTK - Just for the record, the rule is about presentation while representing the team, but not on the court (for example, press conferences, travel, etc.) There are already rules about what you can wear while playing.

Damn size-ists :)

 
At 10/21/2005 09:15:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, well, I don't know anything about sports :)

 
At 10/21/2005 09:28:00 AM , Blogger Kingfisher said...

I don't think you're a big fat racist.

I do think you're a big old weirdo.

 
At 10/21/2005 11:22:00 AM , Blogger Diane Mandy said...

The whole NBA argument boils down to one thing... money. But in this case, it's not the player's salary that's at issue. The NBA higher ups are concerned because it tv viewership and marketshare are down. I think the NBA is now in 4th place (or about to be) behind NASCAR in it's popularity... It's become the step child of major sporting events.

What's the culprit of the loss of middle America? In all their brilliance, middle aged NBA execs blame the Hip Hop fashions that many players sport... Evil hip hop fashions are to blame for the fights with spectators and bad conduct of some of the NBA players.... That's right. Blame it on fashion.

Oh, please...

But hey, all the publicity might bring viewership up a point or two.

 
At 10/21/2005 11:31:00 AM , Blogger KOM said...

Hey, S. You sound an awefull lot like some jerk I sorta know.

All - Thanks for the support, but I guess the truth is that none of you would really know if I'm racist or not... only what I choose to share. Of course I don't like to think that I am, but one person's un-PC is another's raving nazi. What bothered me the most was being judged on one single post that was meant only to be amusing. I'll take big old weirdo anyday.

 
At 10/21/2005 12:00:00 PM , Blogger Jerk Of All Trades 2.0 said...

Yeah that "s" guy gets that alot, I keep getting his catalogs in my mailbox and I have to walk across the hall and trade 'em for my comic books.

I'm funnier though.

OH...and MUCH better lookin too.

You know what's werid (besides me) there actually IS a tall, Asian, albino chick here in Denver aaaaaaand she IS hot!

It's weird man, but if you saw her you'd think so too. Like a porcelain goddess walking around. I TRY not to stare, because I dont know if she know she's hot or not.
For all I'd know she'd get all pissed off. "What, you've never seen an albino before? I AM NOT AN ANIMAL!!"

 
At 10/21/2005 01:55:00 PM , Blogger Robyn said...

You are a big fat hunk of love!

 
At 10/21/2005 05:25:00 PM , Blogger T.C. said...

These days people with less than average reading and critical analysis skills can accuse other people, funny or otherwise, of anything they choose with impunity. No wonder mediocrity gets the reward. More importantly, Isn't 'big fat' redundant? 'You sound like' also bothers me. Did she infer that she hears 'voices' in your words? We are all, let's be frank here, just a bunch of niggers, chinks, cunts, pricks and wops. Some of us have jobs and some of us don't. Others are educated and others are not. Circle of fucking life. Circle of life...I feel like an egg roll now.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home