Thursday, May 05, 2005

God is a teapot orbiting Mars.

I read an excellent article on Salon today.

It made me think of a dream that I had when I was very little, one that I've always carried with me. I like to bring it out, dust it off, and reinterpret what it means to me every once in a while.

It's a very short dream, or at least what I remember. It's basically an image, a snapshot of an impossible time, tucked away with my other childhood memories.

We are in heaven. Jesus stands alone on a huge circular dais in an unimaginably large cavern. We surround the dais, millions of us, knees bent and heads down. Directly above is the only source of light, shining directly down on Jesus and quickly fading into the crowd. We will stay like this forever.

When I was little, I wasn't afraid of death. I was terrified of eternity, and being forced to endure it.

Now that America is becoming a theocracy, I do fear death. Now that I finally have something to live for, the religious zealots and their insane fantasies threaten to take it all away.

The above-linked article is described: "Evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins explains why God is a delusion, religion is a virus, and America has slipped back into the Dark Ages." If you have strong religious convictions you may want to skip this one. If you have a more open mind, it's an interesting read with some excellent points.

5 Comments:

At 5/05/2005 04:29:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, today's America is becoming more frightening every day. Although, having had a similar discussion with a 75 year old the other day, it was pointed out that there is always a pendulum swing to these things. Right now the conservatives have the swing. She figures that we have about 10 to 15 years of worse before it starts to get better. Damn, I'll almost be too old to enjoy it.

 
At 5/05/2005 04:49:00 PM , Blogger m. said...

No, i think Phobos or Deimos is, uh, the thing orbiting Mars. Possibly a satellite or probe as well, sir.

 
At 5/05/2005 05:34:00 PM , Blogger THEMARSHAL said...

It is cinco de mayo, and I am about to start drinking. After reading this I know I will get in many (fun) arguments about religion tonight, as I claim myself to be nothing more than a Pragmatist.
Thank you,

Marshal

 
At 5/06/2005 11:14:00 AM , Blogger KOM said...

Jane - I'm with you on the pendulum. However, I find conservatives to be an ugly, but often neccessary balance to head-in-the-clouds liberalism. My concern is not for the conservatives, as such, but the reactionary jesus freaks that see no irony in thinking that god wants us to create a christian empire and kill the heathens. And ban Spongebob.

Mattles - It's a line from the Salon article. Basically stating that believing in god is like believing in teapots orbiting mars. Both are currently unprovable, and unlikely.

Marshal - Hope you had a beer for me. I had a very quiet evening and went to bed early. Sigh.

 
At 5/06/2005 03:21:00 PM , Blogger Michele said...

Does this happen in a spoon?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home