Monday, May 02, 2005

A good book

I just finished The Final Solution: A Story of Detection by Michael Chabon. I had not read any of Chabons's work when I bought this book together with The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay on a friend's recomendation. I kept running into people telling me that Kavalier and Clay was such a great book, the best thing that they'd read in years.

Well, K&C is sitting on the table next to the couch, half read and collecting dust, as it's been doing for the last 2 months. It's not that it's a bad book - I just haven't been able to get into it. I can objectively see its good qualities, but I found myself very quickly losing interest in all but the main characters. I can't remember this happening to me before, except when reading crap. And even then I generally finish the book so that I can digest it and shit it out, never to have to think about it again.

To be fair, the book that initially grabbed my attention from K&C was The Devil in the White City. I don't normally care for historical non-fiction, but I received it from a friend for Christmas so I had to check it out. And it turned out to be excellent. The same friend gave me American Gods, so I had to check this one out as well. It was interesting, but I couldn't shake the feeling that it was Clive Barker re-writing the Immortality series by Piers Anthony.

Long story short, I decided that I would give Chabon another chance, and see if I couldn't re-spark my interest in K&C. So I picked up The Final Solution.

This is a very, very short book. But it's told excellently. Chabon seemed to sense exactly what he wanted to write, and left it at that - a rare gift for an author. I don't wish to give anything of the plot away, but I want to share just a couple of impressions.

We see every character in the story struggle, whether through age, alienation or madness. More importantly, we see every character. Even a mute boy is explored without resorting to internal monologue. The development isn't needlesly fleshed - we learn very little about anyone's background, for example. But it is subtely and exactly described.

The book seemed to me to be a study of characters and how they react within the circumstances, a story of characters, rather than a story with characters. Terrible things are expressed about the war and humanity, all without a single word being written about those things. These truths are worn exclusively on the faces of the people described so well by the author.

4 Comments:

At 5/02/2005 08:10:00 PM , Blogger MelTheFruitFly said...

Ooooh! I love Michael Chabon! I haven't read Final Solution yet (my reading obsessively phase passed recently, it will be another couple months before I'll even pretend like I'm going to read again soon) -- but I've read both K&C and Wonder Boys.

I had a hard time getting into K&C myself, but once I did it was worth it, and it made me want to read more of his work. So next was Wonder Boys - and that one knocked my socks off. Really wonderful book with real characters. I think that's what's impressed me most about Chabon - I know his characters; I *am* his characters.

I don't recommend the movie adaptation though. It might be a great movie on it's own, but it does a terrible disservice to the characters of the book IMHO.

Of course, what do I know? I truly liked Hitchhiker's Guide when so many others have been knocking it quite a bit. :)

 
At 5/02/2005 09:01:00 PM , Blogger MelTheFruitFly said...

Um, pardon, I'm being a little stalkerish here, but for some reason when I first read this post I skimmed too much and missed what you said about his characters... yes!! That's exactly it. (I saw Michael Chabon and got all excited and wanted to gush. Sorry about that.)

I think you should skip K&C for now and grab Wonder Boys instead.

Ok, away with me now. :)

 
At 5/02/2005 09:44:00 PM , Blogger KOM said...

Kaci and Czar - I read. I read books, I read magazines, I read shampoo bottles, I read designs in my acid-wash jeans that look like words. Check that: read - but I wish I still had a pair. I read lots of crap as well. I didn't mean to sound snobbish, it's just seldomly that I read something worth recomending. Wanted to share.

And Kaci, I fixed the link. Forget an apostrophe and all hell breaks loose.

Fruitfly - am I going to have to get a restraining order? And you skim my posts?! You don't hang on every word and relish them? I guess I'm not doing my job. But I'm glad that you agree about his characters - except in Final Solution, which I though were elegant. I will add Wonder Boys to my to-do list (I'm trusting you here - don't want to have to post a bad review).

 
At 5/02/2005 10:18:00 PM , Blogger MelTheFruitFly said...

After what you just said about reading, two things come to mind:

1. Yes, you should DEFINTIELY read Wonder Boys... I actually remember a passage about a character who read everything (including a specific bit about shampoo bottles) that sticks with me because I so completely identify with that. I read my boyfriend's gaming magazines just to have something to read sometimes, though I really have no interest whatsoever in what the reviewers thought of Warcraft III.

2. A restraining order might be in your best interest, though you're probably safe 'cause you're a long way away and I'm too broke (and usually too lazy) to properly stalk anyone. If I was going to though, it might just be you. Better hope I don't win the lottery any time soon. ;)

And I don't normally skim, swear it. Cross my heart and all that. Like I said, I just saw Michael Chabon and got all excited. I did actually go back and re-read it, obviously. You gotta give me some credit for that!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home