Wednesday, June 29, 2005

That time in Norway

My father worked as an engineer for an outfit that designed off-shore drilling equipment. When I was about 10, he was sent to Oslo to oversee a project in the North Sea. As it was summer, and he was going to be there for several moths, he flew my mother and I to join him.

I got to see the Viking museum, the fjords, the palaces, all of the tourist attractions. But what really excited me wass that I was able to read my Dr. Who Choose Your Own Adventure's by sunlight at 4am.

At one point I got it into my head that it would be funny to hide from my parents. I hid under the bed when they called for me, and stayed there as I heard them frantically calling my name around the neighborhood. Eventually I had to use the bathroom, and was caught by the flat-mate that was living in the same house. This was apparently moments before my parents were going to call the police.

To this day I don't know what posessed me to do such a thing. Whenever I get depressed, and think about the people that I've hurt, this memory invariably comes to mind. I couldn't comprehend until much later what a fucked-up thing it was to do.

Now I've got to call my parents to apologize.

Thanks a lot, Decadence. I'll accept your apology, but kindly stay the fuck out of my head from now on.

9 Comments:

At 6/29/2005 12:36:00 PM , Blogger Robyn said...

We are all jerks (sorry JOAT) when we are kids - it can't be helped. We say and do the most hurtful things to our parents and loved ones. My only consolation is that kids have been doing the same thing since time immemorial, so when my son does it to me, I will try and understand.

 
At 6/29/2005 01:14:00 PM , Blogger Yawn said...

Jijijiji- Dr. Who Choose Your Own Adventure!

 
At 6/29/2005 01:31:00 PM , Blogger PSUMommy said...

Hmmm...I wrote "I HATE MOMMY" all over the inside of my little play kitchen when I was about that age.

Its still there, actually. And every time I see it, it makes me want to cry.

Well, crap. Now I have to go apologize to MY mom. Darn it!

 
At 6/29/2005 02:06:00 PM , Blogger Jerk Of All Trades 2.0 said...

Do you remember that scene in Saving Private Ryan where the guy is talking about pretending to be asleep when his Mom came to check on him?

You ALMOST had me crying like a little girl you bastard!!!

Why I otta!!

 
At 6/29/2005 06:02:00 PM , Blogger Squishi said...

You look at things differently when YOU become the parent, huh?

Until that such day when i am blessed (?!) with a sproglet of my own, I shall refrain from all guilt trips and apologies.

Mwhahahhahahah

 
At 6/29/2005 07:32:00 PM , Blogger SassyAssy said...

I am sure I did something like that when I was younger. I was always up to something.

One time I knew I was in for a spanking so I put all my undies on. Mom did not realize it when she spanked me and I ran into the hall pretending to cry, but really I was laughing. She thought it was pretty funny when I told her about it ages later.

thanks to being an evil child, I can anticipate stepchildren's plots to get into trouble and head them off at the pass.

 
At 6/30/2005 11:20:00 AM , Blogger Scott said...

I can't believe you are from Fairfield. I just moved from there, lived by the Costco at Green Valley. Small world.

 
At 6/30/2005 12:54:00 PM , Blogger David said...

Yep that is just being a kid. Remember the Eddie Murphy jokes where he is acting like a kid walking back to his room after a spanking mumbling "I hate you.. I hope you get hit by a bus and die.." Well it was funny at the time..

 
At 6/30/2005 01:39:00 PM , Blogger KOM said...

D&BQ - I don't think I got beat, but I sure as hell deserved it.

R - You administer the understanding, I'll administer the smack-down.

Yawn - Yes, I was the king of cool.

PSUMom - Sorry. Blame Decadence.

J - Don't remember it, but I can imagine.

Squishi - ...so, squishies have sproglets?

QofS - Sounds like a Charmin commercial!

Scott - Welcome. I live right across 80 from the Costco, down the road from the HS. (Is everone writing this down? I expect presents on my birthday.)

David - I always murmered "You idiotic people..." I used to think idiotic was the worst word in the english language. The 'I' bomb.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home