Thursday, June 09, 2005

What price, DSL

Poor KOM operates at home from a dial-up, 56K modem.

So I left a little skid mark in my shorts when I read about a special deal from SBC/Yahoo. Per the ad, I could receive basic DSL for $14.95/mo. There were asteriks, of course, but no explanations of the asteriks.

So I called SBC, and informed them that I was interested in the deal. I just had a few questions. My helpful CSR told me that SBC is divided into two seperate companies, "live" and "internet". He was not only unqualified, but unable to answer any questions relating to an on-line offer. He suggested I send an email to the happy, friendly folks at SBC "Internet".

I've erased (my) name to protect the innocent, as well as editing out quite a few superfluous "help" links:



Dear KOM,

Thank you for your recent email. It appears as if you have already resolved the issue at hand. SBC California records indicate you spoke to a service representative on 6/6/05.

If this response does not address your concern, please reply directly to this email, or you may get additional information by clicking on the links below. Another option is cutting and pasting the links into your browser (see safety note below):

Additionally, you may reach us by phone. Visit http://sbc.com/contactus for a list of customer service numbers.

Regards,
Lori
Your SBC Customer Service Representative


On Mon Jun 06 16:12:41 PDT 2005, KOM wrote:
> To: ONLINECA@txmail.sbc.com
> Customer Name: KOM
> Email Address: {my email address}
> Street: No Street
> City: No City
> State: CA
> Zip: {my zip}
> Phone Number: {my phone number}
> Alternate Phone Number:
> Customer Code: ---
>
> Email Tracking Number: 3730903
>
> Message:
> To whom it may concern:
>
> I am interested in the dynamic DSL line offered online for $14.95/mo. However, I can not find any information on this website that would explain how much the service will cost after the initial offer expires.
>
> Also, under the terms/conditions, it states that a local sbc connection is required. Does this reference an SBC telephone connection? In other words, will I need to change my local provider in order to receive this offer?
>
> Thank you for your time,
>
> KOM


I immediately sent a reply stating that nothing was resolved, and that I still needed my questions answered.

As of 6/9/05, 10:50pm, I have yet to receive a reply.

Fucking SBC/Yahoo. Obviously they don't want members that know how to read. I can't tell if it's simple ineptitude, or if they are really trying to dissuade people that think before they buy from participating in the program.

Sit and spin, you unholy fuckbags. If you were the last IP on earth, I would be forced to read the newspaper.

I invite you all to send nasty emails to "Lori" with SBC and let her know that I am pissed.



--------- UPDATE 6/13/05

After a particularly nasty email that I won't post out of embarresment, I received the following reply:

Thank you for your recent email.  On behalf of SBC California, I apologize for
the trouble you have encountered. SBC Yahoo! DSL requires an active phone line
from your SBC local telephone company. SBC Yahoo! DSL is treated as an
additional feature on your phone line, like Caller ID or Call Waiting.

SBC California records indicate the rate of $14.95 for SBC Yahoo! DSL is a
promotional rate good for a period of 12 months. Once you have successfully
fulfilled this term, the DSL rate will automatically converted to a month to
month price plan, which is currently $49.95.

We thank you for choosing SBC California, and hope you'll look to us in the
future for all your telecommunication and data needs.

If this response does not address your concern, please reply directly to this
email, or you may get additional information by clicking on the links below.
Another option is cutting and pasting the links into your browser (see safety
note below):

Regards,

Crystal
Your SBC Customer Service Representative

Someone give Crystal a raise. But I still won't be joining up for this service. New phone line, $50/mo for 300K?? You've got to be kidding me.

3 Comments:

At 6/10/2005 03:44:00 AM , Blogger Jerk Of All Trades 2.0 said...

If it's anything like the Comcast stuff here in Denvoid, you WILL have to change your phone company and they will charge you for that.
Also, it will jump up to $50 bucks a month after a certain amount of time.

 
At 6/10/2005 04:12:00 AM , Blogger Squishi said...

marvellous, just marvellous. I think they're related to our Telstra/Bigpond - our biggest monopoly on phone lines. In fact, they OWN them all....... and if you go with another ISP - well, they will not help you one little bit. I refuse to use Bogpond though, so i take my chances that nothing will go wrong with my line. *touchwood*

 
At 6/10/2005 06:55:00 AM , Blogger Yawn said...

Seems like a few years ago one of their big deals was "10 free 10MB e-mail addresses." Of course you gotta change your phone company! And they're going to charge you $50 for the change, plus $25 a month for minimum service, plus $15 a month for DSL plus taxes on the DSL, phone service, and long distance. And if you want caller ID and all that other stuff I think it's like a $50 hookup fee and $15 a month to have services you've never heard of and don't want. No doubt they will also tickle your prostate with long distance at 20 cents a minute in the lower 48, $1.20 a minute anywhere else. And don't forget all the spam and telemarketers you'll get by giving them your name and contact info, nor the friendly folks paying big bucks for your data so you too can receive offers for state quarters maps and $1 a day life insurance. If you decide to do it, enjoy those free 10MB e-mail accounts! Lotta storage en dem bitches.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home