Friday, August 12, 2005

The great song meme

It's tag-time, kiddies. Thanks, J, for another hair-pulling excursion in decision making.

I'm supposed to list the 10 songs that I'm currently enjoying. Generally I just jukebox my mp3's or put in an album that I particularly enjoy, so it's difficult to pull single songs out of the air. What I have below is neither an all-time favorites list, nor specifically a "what I'm listening to at this moment" list.

It is what it is:


You and Whose Army? - Radiohead

I like the crescendo it builds, much like Exit Music (For a Film), at first barely audible and then rising into a scream. I've always felt a little bit odd about the song, though. I first started paying attention to it shortly after the 9/11 attacks, and the lyrics are... anti-establishment, we'll say.

Telegraph Road - Dire Straits

Love Over Gold is an incredible album, and this is one of the best from it.

Farther on Down the Road - Taj Mahal

For me, this song represents willfully ignorant hope. Even when I feel that things can't get better, it sometimes makes me think that it's possible, yet.

O'Malley's Bar - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

If you can get over the extreme violence, this is actually a damn funny song. It also raises and then crushes a question of culpability in life. Besides, who wouldn't like a song with lyrics like these:

I swooped magnificent upon her
As she sat shivering in her grief
Like the Madonna painted on the church-house wall

In whales blood and banana leaf

Nobody - Tom Waits

Kind of a self-indulgent love song. Is there any other kind?

The Gunner's Dream - Pink Floyd

One of the more emotional tracks on The Final Cut, which in my opinion is one of the best Floyd albums. I know that I'm in the minority, here.

Help on the Way/Slipknot - Joe Gallant & Illuminati

I love the Dead's Blues for Allah, and this disk helps keep it fresh.

She Fucks Me - Ween

This just epitomizes early Ween. Also reminds me of some of my earlier "relationships".

Intruder - Peter Gabriel

This is a creepy song. This is a very creepy song. This is a very, very creepy song.

Bolero - Ravel

One of my son's Baby Einstein tapes plays a "kid friendly" snippet of the piece, and I'm forced about once a week to listen to it in it's entirety. It fills me with an emotion that I can't put my finger on, which makes it memorable for the confusion.


After piecing this together, I'm out of energy to tag anyone in particular. I'm going to take the cop-out and ask that if anyone wishes to do it, awesome. Let me know so that I can check it out.

2 Comments:

At 8/12/2005 03:27:00 PM , Blogger Jerk Of All Trades 2.0 said...

Tom Waits.

I used to go drink at the Terminal Bar here in Denver, alas it no longer exists.

I don't remember which song mentions it (Nighthawks at the diner?), I just recall him saying "It's 3am and you're standing on the corner of 17th and Wazee. You've been up all night drinking various cleaning products" etc. I had been to the Terminal several times and in fact found myself there at 3am a few times before I even heard the song. I felt cool when I did though.

The Terminal was the ONLY 24hr bar in Denver. Since it was near the train station and the main Postal center you could find a decent mix of people anytime of day. Workin' joes and such. It's now a "Yuppie" hip place called Jax or something stupid like that.

 
At 8/15/2005 08:30:00 PM , Blogger Yawn said...

I only listen to Paulina Rubio, Serralde, The Meatmen, Ricky Martin, Big Black, Julieta Venegas, Butthole Surfers, Shakira, and 4 Non Blondes. Maybe. Or maybe it's pure George STrait, Pat Green, and Robert Earl Keen.

I'm too lazy to list the songs.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home