Sunday, October 30, 2005

Guilt and the Gridiron

There is a commercial for a satellite TV service in which a boy runs to his father and jumps on the couch asking "Can you read me a story?" The father looks around for a second and the crestfallen boy says "Oh, football."

The father says, "Nevermind, I can freeze time!" {Snap} TV action is paused. {Snap} TV action is resumed. "Do it again, daddy!" squeals the kid, book forgotten.

While watching the commercial, my wife said something to the effect of, "Oh, god forbid that he spend some time with his son!"

I replied, off hand, "That's the pain of every child."

The wife looked at me with her brows furrowed, then did an uncanny Spock peak with one of her eyebrows. She stared at me for a moment, then let it go.

When I was but a little guy, I walked into the living room where my dad was watching football on a beautiful Sunday afternoon. After playing for a while at the foot of the couch, I remember looking at him and saying, "I can't wait for football to be over, so that I can have you back."

He looked at me as if in pain, a sight I've never since witnessed. He didn't say anything for a few moments, and I jumped on to the couch and snuggled next to him, happy to watch the game, if it meant that I could be with him.

He couldn't 'freeze time', and he didn't have to. We just watched the rest of the game together.

The pain of every child is in realizing that their parents, even their world, exists outside of themselves alone. There is a time when one first groks that the Me-liospheric model has long since been retired.

It would seem that the pain of every adult is remembering that moment. Moreso, in experiencing it again through the eyes of the young.

7 Comments:

At 10/30/2005 11:23:00 PM , Blogger rich bachelor said...

I saw that one today too.
What it made my brotherinlaw say was, "Now see? It's gonna give that kid the mistaken impression that his father can stop time!"
And I said, "And later, when he comes back to kill his father, his tag line will be,'Apparently he can't stop bullets.'"
Yup. Televised sports. They kill.

 
At 10/31/2005 08:08:00 AM , Blogger SassyAssy said...

I didn't grow with a father in the house, but I had my much adored older brother. Of course, when it wasn't football season it was basketball or baseball that I took a backseat to. I finally settled down & learned to love baseball for that reason.

 
At 10/31/2005 10:22:00 AM , Blogger Moxie Cotton said...

My mother can't stand to watch football games at all anymore, they give her flashbacks of when she was young and my grandfather would scream at anyone who got in front of the television when the game was on. She wasn't permitted to speak, let alone complain about the lack of time they spent together. Pigskin, indeed.

 
At 10/31/2005 10:44:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes! Well, my dad never watched sports on TV, he was hardly ever home from work enough to watch anything on TV.

That probably sounds whiney, but as an adult I appreciate all the hard work he put in to give us a good living. As a kid, well, it never occured to me that it should be any other way...

 
At 10/31/2005 03:55:00 PM , Blogger jeopardygirl said...

KOM,

What you describe was me with my Dad and Hockey. I think the pain was compounded by the fact that I'm not a boy.

 
At 11/01/2005 11:06:00 AM , Blogger Robyn said...

Dear God - you sure know how to reach in there and rip someone's heart out, don't you!

Tell me you were using those patented "puppy dog" eyes you know how to use so well. No one can resist.

 
At 11/01/2005 08:44:00 PM , Blogger Wirthy said...

What I like about the commercial is that, after Dad shows Junior how he can freeze time, Junior becomes mesmerized by Dad's new powers and quickly forgets his storybook. Stupid kid.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home