Sunday, October 23, 2005

Sometime is too much

I think my eye's been leaking.

I was watching some show this evening, 60/60, 20 Minutes... whatever. They were talking about musical savants. One of these prodigies was blind as well as being mentally retarded. I mean than in a very clinical sense: he is unable to buckle his seatbelt, unable to tie his shoes, unable, even, to button his shirt.

But he remembers every song that he has ever heard, and is able to play it upon request on a piano.

As the segment was cut, the interviewer asked "can you hold up 3 fingers?" He held up all ten, stretched taught, and responded "I don't know how to do that."

Asked shortly thereafter if he could play "The girl from Ipanema", he went straight into song.

And this is what got me. They asked if he could interpret musical phrases as if done by another talent. Bach became perhaps too complex when asked to be interpreted as Mozart. Perhaps too regimented and baroque when asked to be interpret as "Russian". But it was organic, and real and, TV to be trusted, in the moment and beautiful. Not that he didn't miss some notes, not that it was Carnegie-ready, but it was immediate and incredible.

I had stood, mid living-room with my hand on my hip, watching the segment. Very shortly into the performance, I was forced to step outside. Ostensibly for a cigarette, but honestly because I was emotionally overwhelmed.

My mother tells a story from when I was a little tike. I was watching "Close Encounters" at the foot of the TV in my parent's bedroom as they were getting ready for bed. After the famous musical encounter, when the aliens opened the hatch and showed themselves, my mother tells me that I cried uncontrollably. Not from fear, but from awe. Something about the scene had touched a part of my mind that wasn't tied to want or need. It was pure wonder, and I cried.

One night a few years ago, my wife and I were driving to a friend's house. I was trying to explain that I had never really thought about the role of firefighters or police as positive institutions. While I had little thought about firefighters, I actively disliked police. Not that I hadn't met some pretty cool cops in my youthful indiscretions, but I always considered them a barely-contained gestapo, existent only to give me tickets or bum my high.

It struck me like a bolt of lightning, after 9/11, that they had their purpose. The men in blue have the authority to tell you where to go, how to get there, and if you should stay there. The same people that I'd always considered to have some social defect in peace-time were the only ones who could direct the populace when absolutely necessary.

I tried to tell my wife that while I was still wary of cops and their totalarian power, I finally understood their purpose. The same characteristics that I've always hated and feared in the blue-clad autocrats could in fact be used for the social good. There can be times and reasons for their existence. I became overwhelmed at the realization and cried right there in the car.

The same awe has been repeated on more than one occasion: The moment my wife said "yes" to the proposal; when I saw her march down the isle; when in the middle of all havoc and hell I was handed the forceps to cut the umbilical cord...

Humans are damned by their own existence. As said in Contact, "You're capable of such beautiful dreams and such horrible nightmares." It's a wonderful thing when we can be shocked out of our usual routine, and can be hurt or enlightened by the simple thoughts and actions around us. It's in those brief moments when we are taken out of ourselves that I believe we are closer to whatever we choose to believe as God.

And it is in Awe, when all other emotions fail, that we are, finally, Human.

8 Comments:

At 10/23/2005 11:25:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

police = the only ones who could direct the populace when absolutely neccessary.

why is that? why not expect every average man or woman to be able to deal with extreme situations. why didn't i receive some training in this area in high school? how long does it take to train a police officer to be able to direct the populace?

why is it that we think we need the police? i was walking down the street and saw a man attempting to break into a store. he appeared somewhat intoxicated and was having a hard time getting goods through the bars in the window. there were at least 25 people in the immediate area. everyone pulled out their phone and made a phone call. no one interfered. why?

the quickest solution in my mind was for everyone to group together and confront the man. i doubt force would be necessary, even so, 25 against 1.

it's not our responsibility is it? the reason we don't interfere is because it's someone elses job. is it possible for someone to take away something more than just the responsibility to act with force?

would we function better if the role of peacekeeper was no longer isolated to a select group?

 
At 10/23/2005 11:50:00 PM , Blogger KOM said...

Anon - I wish you'd have let youself be known, because you raised some very good points.

In my opinion, you answer your own question "why" when you describe the people around yourself that did nothing. The immediate source of my awe, regarding the police, is that it occured to me that they can, when available, administer "the peace".

I think my post made it clear that I do not generally trust cops, or the people that would choose to be cops. But in dire emergencies, when the rest of the people (as you've described) seem to be either inactive, or drawn to the mob mentality, that is when the police shine.

Should we all be trained to handle crowds? No. Seriously, crowd mentality is beyond you and I as a simply civic response. Would it be better if we were all taught the ABC's of crwod control? It couldn't hurt. Or maybe it could.

The point isn't in what should be, but what is. Help us train the general populace to mind themselves, but also recognize what the police did that day.

I feel you, Anon, but distrust and respect, as I tried to convey, are not mutually exclusive.

 
At 10/24/2005 07:46:00 AM , Blogger T.C. said...

I see this person's point too but it simply runs contrary to human nature. Another example of how our 'what ought to be' gets the better of our practical senses. Cops, like priests and rabbis and so on, are humans and as such are subjected to the rules of human nature with all its flaws and imperfections. But they are also filled with staggering courage and incredible purpose. Not everyone is capable of working as one unit during times of crisis. One needs to just look at families to see this. Some are leaders, others are not and still others simply do not want to be. As such, we ask for the people who want to be cops, paramedics, firemen etc. to do this work. And every damn time there's a catastrophe there they are - doing what we ask of them. I don't know why, it's just me, I never subsribed to the 'question authority' line. When we see a cop we always wonder suspiciously but in a sudden twist of dark irony it's the first person we run to when we feel insecure or threatened or just need help. Sure, it's ok to challenge authority - especially with retards pulling the strings (like in middle management) - but as you said KOM, in times of peace this is normal. What happens when real trouble comes? We turn to them. This is why I do not feel this anti-Bush crusade is healthy nor do I think it's a healthy exercise in democracy. It does send the wrong message to the world. Close ranks and worry about the things that bother you later. As for the muscial prodigy. I once wathched a show with my wife on autism -please visit my autism foundation site 'Treasured Souls' the link is through my blog - about a kid not dissimilar to what you described. It was astonishing to watch him on the piano (not to mention another who was an artist) - 9/11, musical prodigies, it's all the same - shivers. A scientist/psychologist said something that was interesting. He said that autisitc people use a part of their brains that none of us EVER tap into though we have the capacity to do so. For autistic kids, they can' tap into the normal functions of the brain that restores them to normalcy. Every single one of us have the capacity to play like Pallestrina, Chopin or Beethoven. Though I simply don't think it's possible for me.

 
At 10/24/2005 11:11:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for a very thought-provoking piece today! I sometimes find myself getting overwhelmed by awe-striking thoughts like that. I am a real fan of things that jolt our reality, and make us rise to a higher stature as human beings, and if even for a short moment, help us to be greater than we usually are.

 
At 10/24/2005 11:43:00 AM , Blogger Robyn said...

Watching these young people who were playing music as easily as they breathe made me wonder about music being part of our culture in general. It seems obvious to me that music must be linked somehow to our primordial stew, otherwise why would these kids be able to tap into it so easily? Did we have autistic ancestors who created the beginnings of music as we have now? If we hadn't had Autism, or something like it somewhere far back in our ancestry, would music even exist?

 
At 10/24/2005 02:00:00 PM , Blogger T.C. said...

BY the way, the link is wrong. I have to fix that. The new address is www.treasuredsouls.com

 
At 10/24/2005 04:31:00 PM , Blogger Moxie Cotton said...

This was beautiful. I watched that program last night too, and I was completely blown away by that same segment where he changed the fashion of the music to compliment the composer - it was probably one of the best things I've ever seen on television. I was struck when she asked him how he knew to play the way he did and he said "I can't remember". To be perfectly candid, the thought crossed my mind (and this is way out there, of course) that maybe he did see how to do this, somewhere, maybe before he was born, and everything else was taken away from him but the knowledge of the music. As though a force had come and given him a gift that carried a terrible price. I know it sounds really dumb, but I was overwhelmed by what I was watching.

 
At 10/24/2005 04:53:00 PM , Blogger KOM said...

Commentator - I don't feel the need to run to Bush at this moment. Cops ostensibly protect from ourselves. Bush is doing everything in his power to put us in more danger. Political rant over. As to the autism site, I will certainly check it out. I have a nephew with Aspergers, and it seems that everyone in my family exhibists some signs of disorder.

IG - I've always respected cops, just never much liked 'em. Believe it or not, I grew up in a military family as well.

Nilo - Like little orgasms, they are. Then you forget exactly what they made you feel.

R - Interesting thought. But except for the ability of the kid to 'synthesize' the music, he was really only copying. In other words he isn't creating music, just playing it. I don't know if these traits come from the same place or not...

EM - I don't think that's dumb at all. I don't know if he was given a choice, and it certainly is a heavy price to pay, but it's an incredible gift. I wonder what he would tell us, if he could, about what it means to him to be able to do it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home