Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Fasting on Mount Terrible Two

Mr. Man and I had a strong disagreement tonight.

We are trying to teach Little Guy about manners, and he is usually quite receptive. "Please," we say, and he repeats "peez!" But this evening, shortly after he came home, he wanted a refill of his milk. First Mommy asked him if he could please take the cup over to daddy (I was in the kitchen, near the refridgerator). Little man had a meltdown and disappeared behind the couch. I finally grabbed the cup and filled it with milk. I said "Say please," and he responded "No, no."

I emptied and refilled the dishwasher, all the time offering him his coveted milk if only he would say "please." "No, no." was the invariable reply, if he would even grace me with a response.

"Come, now, little guy, just say "please", and I'll get your milk."

"No, no."

In a flash, it occurred to me that I was Satan tempting Jesus on the mountain. "Hungry? Just say the word and make the stones into milk."

"No, no."

"Well, if you're hungry, throw yourself up into your high chair so that I can feed you."

"No, no."

"Okay, tell you what. All the milk of the Kingdoms of the world, I will give you if you will just say 'please'"

"No, no, no!"

So I put the milk back into the fridge, and Little Man was disconsolate.

Upon further reflection, I've read a couple of things into this exchange. First, I think that I get the idea of "God the Father". It's one thing to read as a son, quite another to read as a dad. I know that he isn't going to starve to death if I refuse the milk. And I would never hold something that he really needs, even out of spite.

But, and God Himself has asked me to relay this message, stop asking The I Am for a bicycle, or a red wagon, or a Barbie, or to catch the winning touchdown. He will provide what you need, not what you want.

He also asked me to tell you that you may, in fact, catch the winning touchdown. This was not by His hand, so he would prefer it if you didn't give him credit. He has imbued you with certain gifts, and he expects you to utilize these gifts. Enjoy and have fun. But remember to give Him praise for all things, not just the minor victories.

Did you remember to praise Him when your last dental checkup showed no new cavities? Did you praise Him when your soufle didn't fall? Did you praise Him when your Blogger post published correctly, and was not lost to the Ether? Yeah, again, minor victories. You've got some work to do.

I prefer to pray once per day, usually when I'm falling asleep. I ask, "Lord, please do not let anything bad happen to my family. If it must, please give me the strength to exact horrific pain upon anyone involved in my misery. Then let me kill myself. Please bless my parents, my kitties, and my household."

I'm not kidding.

Second, it seems to me that Satan is playing the stereotypical parental role. And that is a little disturbing.

He seems to say "Look, you know how to do it, just do it!" I say this nearly every day to Little Man. I am not your servant, figure it out!

We wish to provide our offspring with the best tools that we can provide. Listen to me, listen to us, we know best.

Parents, oh parents, We are Legion.

Jesus seems as petulant as a 2 year-old. Breaking the Sabbath, beating the money exchangers, hanging out with the prostitutes and tax collectors. We wouldn't wish this upon our enemy's kids!

Faith in Jesus is like faith in a 2 year-old. It's difficult, it shows little return, and it causes many headaches. But if you can stick it out, ostensibly, the reward is as great, or better, than watching your own Little Man become a Big Man. Or, that's what I've been told.

You see, I'm still agnostic.

12 Comments:

At 11/02/2005 04:26:00 AM , Blogger Venessa said...

This has got to be one of my favorite posts ever. Perhaps a tad sacrilegious. Watch for lightening. :)

 
At 11/02/2005 10:12:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, you know he didn't really want the milk - he just wanted you to cave was all.

It's kind of a sad comment on the parenting traits I see in the rest of this country that I feel like I need to congratulate you on standing up to a toddler... but seriously. Way to go!

 
At 11/02/2005 10:46:00 AM , Blogger Shari said...

Ahhh...the two year old. I always thought that three was much, much worse.;)
Pick your battles wisely, grasshoppa.

 
At 11/02/2005 11:24:00 AM , Blogger Robyn said...

Verily, you have done well. I was trying not to laugh while I listened from the living room as my little two year old told his 6'2" daddy "No no". I'm glad we can see the humor in all of this!

 
At 11/02/2005 07:28:00 PM , Blogger THEMARSHAL said...

Just give him the milk, as he needs it.

 
At 11/02/2005 07:49:00 PM , Blogger Squishi said...

I can't stand kids that get what they ask for, when they ask for it without a scrap of manners. (That girl in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" comes to mind here). "GIMME CHOCOLATE *NOW* !".

A lot of parents these days just don't teach manners, and sadly, most of those kids end up as the 'naughty' kids or the "most likely to get killed in a street gang" by the time they're 16, kids.

Spare the rod and spoil the child. That's out of the Bible, and it is right. Absolutely.

(And this coming from someone without kids, too!)

 
At 11/03/2005 07:08:00 AM , Blogger PSUMommy said...

We're pretty strict about manners here, too. We even taught my daughter to sign 'please' and 'thank you' before she could talk- of course, much less strict. But I feel so strongly that the point of parenting is to teach children how to relate to society. It seems that most parents have lost sight of that, and are afraid to upset their children. God forbid we make children be kind and polite if teaching them causes them to get upset.

As for the Jesus analogy- its quite good, actually. And this coming from a (sorta) (kinda) strict Catholic.

 
At 11/03/2005 07:56:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been lurking for a while and this post has finally prompted me to let you know how much I've been enjoying your blog. Your blend of personal narrative and reflection, humor, philosophy, and politics strikes just the note that suits my taste. As a person of faith who finds it useful to understand God through the ordinary, I especially liked this post. (I also liked the post about the rubber band story I hadn't heard in all these years. Glad there was no permanent damage!)

 
At 11/03/2005 10:27:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

*applause*

Ditto what Venessa said. Very good thought-provoking post. I can't even put into words how much being a parent expands your character, patience and understanding.

I like to think that God loves his children as much as I love mine, only more so. I like to hope that he is more patient with his than I sometimes am with mine.

Oh, and I loved the post about the rubber band. I wish you had video with that one.

 
At 11/03/2005 01:45:00 PM , Blogger KOM said...

Thanks for the kind words, all.

It never ceases to amaze me which posts elicit responses. I would have called this 'filler'; I'm glad it interested some of you.

My wife tends to be a bit more permissive, so I often get to be the bad guy. But to be fair, I also tend to have a shorter fuse and can be bull-headed. So I think we compliment eachother.

 
At 11/03/2005 02:51:00 PM , Blogger Jerk Of All Trades 2.0 said...

Dude, this blog is WAY to deep for me.
I can't compete with my "Jessica Alba is HOT" posts.

 
At 11/04/2005 08:45:00 AM , Blogger SassyAssy said...

I applaud you for remaining the parent...I cringe inside when I see parents submissively hand any and everything to their demanding child. Your analogy was an interesting one...I appreciate the deep thinker in you, even if I don't quite agree with your philosophy. Your blog is always refreshing and it keeps me on my toes.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home