Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Melancholy in the land of LP

I'm sad.

Not weepy sad, more like nap-time sad.

Frustrated, I guess one would say.

I've spent a good deal of time this evening reading political blogs. That is my mistake, I know. I shouldn't expect any consolation. Why I do this to myself, I don't know. Since I was just 18, I've flipped the radio between far-right radio and far-left radio. I do the same now, but with blogs and news sites.

I've always tried to find the synthesis between the two. The middle ground that isn't hype or spin or bullshit.

Since my brief stint in college, I'd always considered myself a Hegelian. Two faces of the same coin, usw.

But now all that I hear, read or experience is hate. If both sides are hate, what is the middle? Sadly, the answer is hate. Dialectics require opposites. There are no opposites in politics - just different ways to hate eachother.

Perhaps I'm comparing the wrong things. Perhaps politics long ago reached a synthesis that I'd never realized until now.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that's correct.

So, peace. At last. What a beautiful Orwelli-Bradburian pillow that leaves.

I leave only the softest tears on this pillow. For tomorrow, I must account for my emotions.

...Mr. Man just woke up with a terrible cough, and I'm reminded that everything above is absolute grade-A bullshit. Nothing matters, nothing, except for the children. I put him back down, and I think that he will sleep again. He sleeps on a pillow without tears, without fears, without accountability.

For now.

7 Comments:

At 11/16/2005 07:57:00 AM , Blogger Shari said...

very nice post...don't be sad...

 
At 11/16/2005 09:56:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

KOM, you so eloquently described what I was trying to say in my rant about politics yesterday.

There used to be this thing called "the loyal opposition" that you could count on to presenting an opposing viewpoint, and some points to ponder. Now, you're right. It's all about hate. Screaming obscenities, pointing fingers, villifying...

I think when it comes right down to it, there's not so much difference between mainstream conservatives and mainstream liberals. There's even less when they actually get to know each other and see that they want many of the same things in life. It's the growing lunatic fringe that has me worried about what the future holds for our children.

You hit the nail on the head when you said "Nothing else matters."

 
At 11/16/2005 10:33:00 AM , Blogger PSUMommy said...

Yup. I hate politics. Because it's ALL emotional crap, and half of the time, the sides actually *agree* but they fight anyway. And it isn't about making life better in America, it's about how much money you can get the government to pay so'n'so's much less-than-qualified nephew's son's ex-father because of the high position so'n'so has.

That's why I concentrate on raising my children to be socially conscientious and how to communcation. Two things government and politics are totally and completely lacking.

 
At 11/16/2005 10:35:00 AM , Blogger PSUMommy said...

How to communicate. Ugh. That's what I get for commenting while exhausted.

 
At 11/16/2005 12:01:00 PM , Blogger KOM said...

Shari - thanks.

Laura - Not you. You're one of the good guys. Gals.

Nilo - Just checked out your post. We seem to have been thinking similar things yesterday.

PSUMommy - Not to overlook the rest of the comment, but "how to communication" is classic. Thanks for the laugh!

 
At 11/16/2005 02:28:00 PM , Blogger Kingfisher said...

Yeah, my last rant was pretty bad. Sorry. I usually try (emphasis on try) to ignore the pointless yelling and whining in politics. Lately it's been harder to do.

Yep, nuthin matters but the kids. Hopefully they'll do a better job with this miserable planet thatn we and our parents did.

It seems so much harder to keep my balance than it used to. Join the race and become what I hate? Try to ignore the stuff that bothers me and become obsolete? The answer eludes me any more.

Verification: gfiyu - Gotta find it, you understand?

 
At 11/16/2005 02:57:00 PM , Blogger KOM said...

KF - No worries, definately not speaking about you. In fact, I thought that post was pretty funny. Could have used a couple more 'fucks', though. I had to type a brief FU to O'Reilly a few posts ago myself.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home