Thursday, November 24, 2005

Tryptophan

Let's face it - Thanks Giving is far and away the best holiday of the year. It's like Christmas without the stress, and without having to store your toddler in a cardboard box for a few months becuase you don' t have enough money left to pay for day care.

And let's not forget football.

Family. Check.
Turkey. Check.
Football. Check.

Until recently, I thought that Johnny Appleseed was apocryphal. To find out otherwise was really a sucker-punch to my belief system. So if native Americans and heavily-buckled puritans really spent a feast or two together prior to a bitter winter, more power to them. I prefer my myths to have a grain of truth, anyway.

I'm going to be vague this holiday litany, but no less heartfelt:

I'm thankful for my my family.
I'm thankful that I'm here, not there.
I'm thankful that it's coming, but hasn't happened.
I'm thankful for a few more years.
I'm thankful for the accident of my birth in this country.
I'm thankful for all of you, meatspace and cyber.

Shit, this list could go on forever. There's a scene in the movie Dogma where the protagonist has a chance to speak to God and begins, "Thanks for.... everything."

That sounds just about right.

5 Comments:

At 11/25/2005 07:59:00 PM , Blogger T.C. said...

Speaking of where myth meets historical facts, this reminds me of a Simpsons episode. The one where Lisa finds out the truth about Jebediah Springfield and how he founded the city. She fully intended to expose the fraud to which people celebrated annually. When she came to make the announcement she decided against it as she saw the good it brought out in people. It was an interesting point to make on a cartoon. Which made me think about revisionists and how they are determined to expose every flaw in our past for all the wrong reasons. Some things are just best left unsaid. Injuns and Puritans sat and smeared cranberry sauce? If that's the story, I'm sticking with it. You know what else? For a Canadian, I sure have opinions on American themes. I'm waiting for the "shut up you regurgitated Caribou puke. What the fuck do you know? Go lick a loonie" reply. Anyone?

 
At 11/28/2005 01:49:00 AM , Blogger THEMARSHAL said...

I am thankful for...well other than living through being ran over by a car way to much to list. I have however done a little write up on a slight change in my life. Check it out if you are bored.


Brad
http://approximatelyaverage.blogspot.com/

 
At 11/28/2005 02:02:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! How did I not see Dogma yet? Oh yeah... I'm married with children, no money, no time, no sanity... I'll see it one of these days.

I'm thankful for a grundle of things, mostly my family and the experiences that life has afforded me.

The protagonist had it right.

 
At 11/28/2005 05:49:00 PM , Blogger Diane Mandy said...

No stress? You're not responsible for the feast, are you? Actually I agree... A whole day set aside for gluttony under the guise of thanks giving. I'm all for it!

 
At 11/30/2005 08:18:00 PM , Blogger Yawn said...

Big 12 will always crush anyone out of Big 10 or other gayer conferences. I'm saying UT, Nebraska, Texas Tech, OSU, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahomo, Iowa, Texas A&M, Scrotumento, on down to that clitgirl school Gaylor...in that order. Oh yeah... like i know what I'm talking about or give a crap. It's all fixed. Just ask my bookies. All 4 of them. Two of them need a jugular slashed or two.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home