Sunday, May 08, 2005

Love thy mother

Happy mothers day! Call them, send them flowers, send them chocolate.

Remember that without your mothers you would not be. And remember that odds are she changed most of your diapers and gave you the welcoming hugs when you scraped your knee. Remember that she would love you even if you were a ticket puncher, gas attendant or crazy murderer. Remember that she did her best, and you are blessed because of her.

This is a very special mother's day for the KOM family. My wife is carrying our second child. We plan on telling our families today.

We have known for a couple of weeks now, and it was recently confirmed by our doctor. We are expecting a late December baby. Hold on to your hats, people. This may be a Christmas baby!

We are both very excited, but I must admit that I am again lost in a sea of self-doubt and confusion. If you care enough to read my blog, you may remember recent posts that were, we'll just say, a bit self indulgent. I knew that we were expecting, and I was looking once again over my past. People may disagree with me, but I am just as nervous and silly-giddy as the first time. I feel like I've forgotten everything that I learned as a parent beforehand! I am actually more nervous now than I was the first time R let me know that she was pregnant.

Actually, as I remember the story, I came home from work and she threw the pee-stick at my head! There I was, wiping urine off of my face and looking at some white plastic nonsense. It finally passed through my thick skull what was happening!

If my wife is reading, this is not quite how it happened. Otherwise, it was just like that.

This time, she came home from her sister's friend's wedding shower. She mentioned that she had forgotten how many old wives tales and superstitions marked these events. She said that she had forgotten that the bows that you break while opening your presents are the number of children that you will have. She said that she must have broken two.

Watching TV, I said "What? What does that even mean?"

When she didn't reply for several seconds, I looked over at her (I swear, this is my wife's greatest power - to state importance through silence). It became clear soon enough. I was going to be a daddy again, despite our 3-year plan.

Here's where I wish that I could tell you that I jumped into her arms and wept like a bridesmaid. As a matter of fact, I said something like "Hunh."

My mom tells a great story about the news of my birth. We were Navy, and my dad was always away. My mom finally got him on the phone and told him that she was pregnant again. Keep in mind that my closest sibling is ten years older than I. My mother sweetly calls me a "miracle" instead of a mistake. My dad calls me the tax-break that he didn't get for 1975, since I stubbornly refused to be born until January 4th, 1976. I'm not sure that he's ever quite forgiven me. Anyhow, my mom tells my dad that she's pregnant, to which my dad replies "Yeah, umm, hmm. Well, we're going to have to -" at which point the phone went dead.

My mom laughs about it now. My dad still looks embarrassed.

Anyhow, I was shocked. Absolutely, to the marrow shocked. To the damn cells, atoms and quarks shocked. I did what any guy would do - I drove to the store for a pack of cigarettes. The good news is that I came back. And after the initial shock, I realized how happy I was. How happy I am!

It was an earthquake, but the best kind.

I love you, R, and I'm so glad that you are bearing my second child. Happy mother's day!

3 Comments:

At 5/08/2005 08:08:00 AM , Blogger MelTheFruitFly said...

Wow KOM! Many congratulations!! What a great day to spread the news too!

Happy Mother's Day to your wife! :)

 
At 5/08/2005 05:22:00 PM , Blogger Passerby A said...

Congrats KOM!

 
At 5/09/2005 06:06:00 AM , Blogger Reese The Law Girl said...

Awww! Congratulations! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home