Saturday, July 02, 2005

Return of the flying pig

I've just finished watching what VH1 would allow me to see of Pink Floyd playing Hyde Park for the Live 8 concert. This is kind of a big deal for me because PF has been my favorite band ever since I thought in terms of favorite bands. But I was too young to ever see Waters perform with them.

It's sad, really. On my deathbed, I'll be looking over my life accomplishments and think of how great it was, that time back in 2005, when I saw Pink Floyd reunited and in 2D on my 19" bedroom TV.



The set list isn't what I would have chosen (well, okay, I probably would have closed with Comfortably Numb, too), but indicative of what you hear played on the radio anymore. So I can hang. And I'm so glad that they didn't look or sound as foolish as I imagined. I guess I have Stone's fans to thank for permitting graying rockers to continue to play. Even the Who didn't look too bad. Hope I die before I get old, indeed.

But am I the only one, the only one in the world, who believed in his heart of hearts that they were going to dig up Syd Barret for an encore? I guess I had no reason to expect it, it just felt right.

Maybe we'll have 3D TV by the time the real reunion takes place. Shine on, you crazy diamond.

6 Comments:

At 7/02/2005 08:38:00 PM , Blogger THEMARSHAL said...

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me, is there anyone at home? Come on can I hear a...oh I can ease yor pain get yuou on your feet again. Relax I need some information first, just the basic facts. Can ya show me where it hurts? There is no pain, you are receiving, .......your lips move but I cant hear what ya saying. When I was a child I had a feeling, my hands felt just like tooo the moooon..... Now Ive got that feelin one again, I cant explain, you would not understand, this is not how I am....IIIIIIIII have become comfortably numb........(into the guitar solo)


Would I say they are the greatest band ever? Nah..but they as hell are one of them. Im glad to see that you like such a great band, because that weirdo guy you posted about a while back was sorta crap when I listened to it, no offense. Sorry I didnt quote the song perfectly, but thats what I had off the top of my head....how did I do?

 
At 7/02/2005 08:44:00 PM , Blogger Jason said...

Oh, close. "When I was a child I had a fever. My hands felt just like two balloons." That's the only correction I can spot outta the ol' memory banks. I use to watch that movie at least once every couple of weeks when I was in highschool. That is, until my mom taped an episode of "Murder She Wrote" over it. I'm still not over that one.

 
At 7/02/2005 11:47:00 PM , Blogger THEMARSHAL said...

Murder she wrote over Pink Floyd? You must be strong willed, that would have enduced fatal seizures in most people.

 
At 7/03/2005 10:54:00 AM , Blogger KOM said...

Sorry the Mr. Bungle thing didn't work out. I wasn't really reccomending them, but just had 'em on the brain for some reason. Definately an aquired taste.

Murder She Wrote. Too funny. Of all the shows to tape over The Wall. Maybe the Golden Girls would be as bad...

And off subject, I forgot to mention it in the post, but it's good to see Waters is a freaky as ever. He's lost the angular extremism of his youth, but he's got the "Bob" from Twin Peaks thing going for him.

 
At 7/03/2005 09:07:00 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

I saw PF in concert in 1987.. when they came to Toronto. It was amazing.

 
At 7/05/2005 09:33:00 AM , Blogger Robyn said...

I can't believe I napped right through that. Damn allergy pills!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home